masks?

Jo

Ok... I remember we discussed something about this a while ago... I
downloaded a few celebrity sims from Vitasims and now I've just gone and
discovered some here http://www.sims2luxe.com/summary.htm Anyhow, I hadn't
played with any in game until yesterday... and when I was attempting to
create a family, you cannot alter anything on the downloaded sims face... as
in... you can't change the make-up or skin tone. They are perhaps ever so
slightly transparent as the female face lip hue seemed to slightly alter as
I tried to put darker lip colour on her... I was actually curious about
the genetics at the time, well I played with that too, by using two of these
masked celebs as the parents and then getting them to have a couple of kids.
It still works pretty much although the resemblence is not as close as if
you were using regular sims. What I want to know is HOW do they make these
masks or whatever they are? These characters look freakily real!!!!

~ jo

http://thesims2.ea.com/mysimpage/mysimpage.php?user_id=223269

As far as I know, they don't use masks, they just mold the face to resemble
whoever they are trying to resemble.

> As far as I know, they don't use masks, they just mold the face to
> resemble
> whoever they are trying to resemble.

This is definately NOT just face moulding, tricky buggers...lol... there is
light and shadow and bags under the eyes and so forth. Try downloading one
and fiddling with it in bodyshop... you can't alter the make up or
anything. When I looked at them a while ago I knew it was not just with
bodyshop, and when you download one then it's confirmed.... I just wanna
know how to do it! The ones I played with last night are from vita sims
celebs...

> > As far as I know, they don't use masks, they just mold the face to
> > resemble
> > whoever they are trying to resemble.
>
> This is definately NOT just face moulding, tricky buggers...lol... there
is
> light and shadow and bags under the eyes and so forth. Try downloading
one
> and fiddling with it in bodyshop... you can't alter the make up or
> anything. When I looked at them a while ago I knew it was not just with
> bodyshop, and when you download one then it's confirmed.... I just wanna
> know how to do it! The ones I played with last night are from vita sims
> celebs...

Well, I guess they just take a picture of the celeb, and turn that into the
costume makeup

Jo

"Jeremy Reaban" <jer@connectria.com> wrote in message >

> "jo" <aeracura@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message

>> "Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote in message

>> > As far as I know, they don't use masks, they just mold the face to
>> > resemble
>> > whoever they are trying to resemble.
>>
>> This is definately NOT just face moulding, tricky buggers...lol... there
> is
>> light and shadow and bags under the eyes and so forth. Try downloading
> one
>> and fiddling with it in bodyshop... you can't alter the make up or
>> anything. When I looked at them a while ago I knew it was not just with
>> bodyshop, and when you download one then it's confirmed.... I just wanna
>> know how to do it! The ones I played with last night are from vita sims
>> celebs...
>
> Well, I guess they just take a picture of the celeb, and turn that into
> the
> costume makeup

wow...ok :)

> "Jeremy Reaban" <jer@connectria.com> wrote in message >

> >> This is definately NOT just face moulding, tricky buggers...lol...
there
> > is
> >> light and shadow and bags under the eyes and so forth. Try downloading
> > one
> >> and fiddling with it in bodyshop... you can't alter the make up or
> >> anything. When I looked at them a while ago I knew it was not just
with
> >> bodyshop, and when you download one then it's confirmed.... I just
wanna
> >> know how to do it! The ones I played with last night are from vita
sims
> >> celebs...
> >
> > Well, I guess they just take a picture of the celeb, and turn that into
> > the
> > costume makeup
> >

> wow...ok :)

Well, it's basically like creating celebrity skins for the original Sims.
You try to get a picture of them looking straight forward, then resize it
and line it up so the eyes and nose and mouth fit the right place. The only
real difference is that in the original sims, you generally had to use the
same mesh for everyone, while in this you can actually make the head mesh
resemble the shape of the person's head.

> Well, it's basically like creating celebrity skins for the original Sims.
> You try to get a picture of them looking straight forward, then resize it
> and line it up so the eyes and nose and mouth fit the right place. The
> only
> real difference is that in the original sims, you generally had to use the
> same mesh for everyone, while in this you can actually make the head mesh
> resemble the shape of the person's head.

I have playing with masks this morning after reading this. It is very
difficult to get a photo that is true full-face.
But even a slightly mangled first try had me with tears pouring down my
face. Horribly ugly face until you tweak the structure settings. Looked a
howl on a teenager.

I found that chopping the face into segemnts gave the best fit. If you get
the eyes (and bags) are in the right position, the rest of the face looks
much better than if you had a perfect fit for say, the mouth, but the eyes
look wrong. This figures.

The problem then is blending the right colours bettween all the cut/pastes.
Gaussian blur helped the best.
Is a right fiddle.
Using layer styles in Pshop enabled accurate skin tone tweaking but after
all that, the thing that let my face down was the mouths. In the end I cut
out the photo mouth entirely using the basic Sim gob.
End result looked peculiar.

Only 5/10 Must try harder.

But for just getting terribly realistic looking faces that remind you of
nobody at all, then using a photo is great fun.
Or remind you of someone you know after the steamroller hit them.

I wonder if Goo works in XP? Faces galore in there.

Granny.

jo wrote:

>Ok... I remember we discussed something about this a while ago... I
>downloaded a few celebrity sims from Vitasims and now I've just gone and
>discovered some here http://www.sims2luxe.com/summary.htm Anyhow, I hadn't
>played with any in game until yesterday... and when I was attempting to
>create a family, you cannot alter anything on the downloaded sims face... as
>in... you can't change the make-up or skin tone. They are perhaps ever so
>slightly transparent as the female face lip hue seemed to slightly alter as
>I tried to put darker lip colour on her... I was actually curious about
>the genetics at the time, well I played with that too, by using two of these
>masked celebs as the parents and then getting them to have a couple of kids.
>It still works pretty much although the resemblence is not as close as if
>you were using regular sims. What I want to know is HOW do they make these
>masks or whatever they are? These characters look freakily real!!!!
>
>~ jo
>
>http://thesims2.ea.com/mysimpage/mysimpage.php?user_id=223269

I remember the discussion, I had a go at the masks but it didn't look
right, I think the people who make these skins use some sort of mesh
program and make bumpmaps as well, if you just cut and paste a photo on
to a mask,(there is one that is 'full on face' in the masks section), it
doesn't show up right, I've tried doing stuff in photoshop, all sorts,
but still not right, I wish I knew how they did it :-(,
BTW that's a great site, I love the way you can move aroung 'trying' the
makeup,(lipstick for now) and eyes to see what it looks like before you
download.

---Sandra

Jo

"Sanantone" <shys10512INJECTIFIED@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> jo wrote:
>
>>Ok... I remember we discussed something about this a while ago... I
>>downloaded a few celebrity sims from Vitasims and now I've just gone and
>>discovered some here http://www.sims2luxe.com/summary.htm Anyhow, I
>>hadn't played with any in game until yesterday... and when I was
>>attempting to create a family, you cannot alter anything on the downloaded
>>sims face... as in... you can't change the make-up or skin tone. They are
>>perhaps ever so slightly transparent as the female face lip hue seemed to
>>slightly alter as I tried to put darker lip colour on her... I was
>>actually curious about the genetics at the time, well I played with that
>>too, by using two of these masked celebs as the parents and then getting
>>them to have a couple of kids. It still works pretty much although the
>>resemblence is not as close as if you were using regular sims. What I
>>want to know is HOW do they make these masks or whatever they are? These
>>characters look freakily real!!!!
>>
>>~ jo
>>
>>http://thesims2.ea.com/mysimpage/mysimpage.php?user_id=223269
>>

> I remember the discussion, I had a go at the masks but it didn't look
> right, I think the people who make these skins use some sort of mesh
> program and make bumpmaps as well, if you just cut and paste a photo on to
> a mask,(there is one that is 'full on face' in the masks section), it
> doesn't show up right, I've tried doing stuff in photoshop, all sorts, but
> still not right, I wish I knew how they did it :-(,
> BTW that's a great site, I love the way you can move aroung 'trying' the
> makeup,(lipstick for now) and eyes to see what it looks like before you
> download.
>
> ---Sandra

Yeah I agree, the site layout is great... and playing with the make up too!

I'm nowhere near clever enough to work out those masks, I can't even figure
out homecrafter!! lol... Leave it up to those with talent :)