Fan controller

c0der1020

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
The last couple of days i've been looking around the net for fan controllers. I need one that can control atleast 12 fans. Some of the channels are gonna control 3-6 fans. The best looking one i've found is the Lamptron FC-2.

My problem is that pretty much all reviews of all fan controllers state that there are some kind of trouble when not running the fans at full speed. Some fan controllers can only control the fans from full down to about 50% where the fans just shut off. I've also seen reviews that state that when they turned the knob on the fan controller down the fans would speed up and down varying by a couple 100 RPM's.

I don't want any of that. I want a fan controller that allows me to control my fans from 100% power and atleast down to 20-30% power, without making noise or bugging in any way. Long story short, i want something that works! :)

If any of you guys have some personal experience or links to well regarded reviews, that would be much appreciated. I'm not only looking for help on the lamptron FC-2 but pretty much any quality fan controller you can recommend.

I would reduce the number of fans you use, or switch to water cooling if noise reduction is your goal. I've disconnected some fans in systems if I can't reduce the noise level. One in the front and one in the back is all most cases need. All 4 pin Intel cpu fans can be controlled in the bios.

c0der1020

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009

I am going to watercool. The fans are gonna be some yate loons which with just a little reduced voltage is virtually silent.

I'm considering some higher RPM fans for the radiator(s) and it would be nice to be able to turn them up and down depending on if i'm gaming or benching.

I'm a big fan (ha) of using low-flow (quiet) 120mm fans to move the case heat as well as fans that are temperature controlled.

I wouldn't want to keep adjusting the fan speed manually. With a little experimentation you should be able to get a nice automatic solution.