Sign in with
Your question

OC'ing takes forever

Last response: in Overclocking
December 3, 2010 8:35:10 PM

Iv been trying to OC my i5 760 without running into any problems with Prime95.

Every time I run P95, it takes at least an hour before it will detect an error if not longer.

So I'm not positive as to what could be causing the errors, so I just do trial and error with frequencies/voltages.

This though, takes an awfully long time. Every time I adjust a frequency, I run the P95 test usually over night, while im at work, or while im at school. I keep running into errors after a few hours, so by the time I find the correct frequencies/voltages it could be weeks from now considering I have to run the test for hours every time I change a variable.

This is probably a noobish question, but is this how you're suppose to test an OC or is there a fast way?

More about : ing takes forever

a c 139 à CPUs
a c 242 K Overclocking
December 4, 2010 2:16:24 AM

error in tes it's mean not enough Vcore !
if u agamer, U can test Oc with play strong & big game a fullday , if all ok your OC stable, I use test my OC with Rendering Video & play Video together... no problem!

m
l
December 4, 2010 5:39:58 AM

not necessarily, I got an error once because of my ram timings.

It could be memory voltage, core voltage, pll voltage, etc. Its not just Vcore that determines if you get an error in P95.
m
l
Related resources
a c 139 à CPUs
a c 242 K Overclocking
December 4, 2010 5:47:04 AM

it's mean now your PC stable..? good job
m
l
December 4, 2010 6:15:42 AM

no, my pc was unstable even at 2.8 GHz (my stock speed) and I later found out it was my ram timings that were off. Then I ran the test overnight again and that seemed to fix it.
m
l
a c 172 à CPUs
a c 197 K Overclocking
December 4, 2010 3:16:39 PM

Prime95 will give you hints about what your problem is by what test is failing. If the "small fft's" test is failing, your problem is generally CPU settings. If the "large fft's" or "blend" test is failing, the problem is generally memory settings.

There's a lot of discussion about how long to stress test. I have seen people advocate everything from 2 hours to 24 hours. I stress test using "small fft's" and "blend" tests each for 24 hours. Stability is kind of important to me. :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 4, 2010 3:17:08 PM

So- ?
Is it fine now ?
m
l
December 4, 2010 7:03:29 PM

Unfortunately no, I ran the small fft's test overnight and one of my cores failed within 1 hour, and so did another right after that.

I was using-

blck-185
multi-20
CPU Voltage- 1.25

so this might be a silly question, but say my system is unstable according to the test. Iv been playing games and such while it has been overclocked (and unstable according to P95) for a few hours and all seems fine. What is my system being "unstable" suppose to exactly entail?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 5, 2010 2:49:31 AM

beznet said:
Unfortunately no, I ran the small fft's test overnight and one of my cores failed within 1 hour, and so did another right after that.

I was using-

blck-185
multi-20
CPU Voltage- 1.25

so this might be a silly question, but say my system is unstable according to the test. Iv been playing games and such while it has been overclocked (and unstable according to P95) for a few hours and all seems fine. What is my system being "unstable" suppose to exactly entail?

There may be many reasons. What is the exact error and where ?
m
l
!