Debating between better cpu or adding gpu

reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
My daughter currently is using a be2300 based system with onboard 6100 graphics. I am considering either replacing the cpu to a a64 5400 plus, or adding adding a geforce 9400 gpu, keep in mind she is certainly not a gamer, she does schoolwork,watches dvd,and video, and does her zune stuff on it,it works fine for all of that. So in your opinion should i upgrade to a64 5400 and use onboard video, or should i go with geforce 9400 and keep current cpu?

I'd go for the geforce 9400 and memory if you can. I got my PNY 2x2 gb pc6400 for $47.99 at Fry's yesterday, plus you get a $20 rebate. Be sure your motherboard will recognize 4 gigs of memory.

thefox14

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
Adding memory until you hit 4GB of it is going to help the very most. After that if you want to upgrade it further, upgrading the cpu will be most beneficial.

I think the key sentence for me was "keep in mind she is certainly not a gamer, she does schoolwork,watches dvd,and video, and does her zune stuff on it,it works fine for all of that"
Signals to me that it doesn't need a thing done to it.
IMHO, give your daugher a gift card with the same value on it you would spend for a new processor, and I think she would be 1 happy camper.

reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
I guess jtpublisher kinda hit it on the nose, when i talked to her today and told her i was thinking of upgrading her computer her response was: "why this time, it runs fine, i need a new printer though", so i guess if it works for her it works for me, and i will be printer shopping.