Hi there , just built my new gaming rig, here are my specs

ANTEC 900 CASE WITH ALL OPTIONAL FANS PUT IN
850W SILVERSTONE PSU
2 X 4890 XFX GRAPHICS CARDS
I7 920 D0
GIGABYTE EX58 UD3R
6GB DDR3 CORSAIR XMS 3
ASUS TRITON 81 CPU COOLER.

Right basically when I built this machine I used asus thermal paste that was supplied with the cooler, my temps at 4.0ghz were around 70 max full load and 40 odd on idle. I thought it was a bit high so I ordered some artic silver 5.

Just cleaned the old stuff of and put the AS5 on to find my idle is 50 and full load is 83!!! its night aswell so its quite cool.

I have tried like 6 different methods of applying thermal paste, even tried very very thin layer and a thicker layer.
I cannot get my temps down, could it be the asus paste is better? I have ran out sigh.

Lowered my cpu to stock 2.66ghz with all stock voltages, only dropped by like 2 degrees, cooler is properly seated using the plastic clips. its tight. The cpu fan is on full speed, disabled smart fan control.

Any ideas on what I can do.

Thnks

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
Have you tried using the "search" function? There has been a countless number of posts with the same topic that have been answered 1000's of times. Please search instead of starting a new thread for a topic which has been answered previously.