Trying to OC GTX 470

Alright so i have a reference-speed, EVGA GTX 470 that I am trying to overclock. I have the latest drivers installed (260.99) and am using MSI Afterburner+Furmark for oc'ing, fan control, and stability testing.

I used this site for a quick reference to start my overclock.

http://www.gpureview.com/gpureviews-gtx-480-and-gtx-470-overclocking-roundup-article-834.html

The average oc's for the 470 came out to be:
Core: 719
Shader: 1478
Memory: 3796

I tried starting out with:
Core: 675
Shader: 1350
Memory: 3564

This was all tested at stock voltage. Using my overclocked settings, I ran through about 15 minutes of Furmark before my video card failed and recovered itself. At that point the video card was topping out at around 84 degrees C.

I had seen many people posting about getting over 700 on the core on stock voltage, so I was somewhat disappointed when my test failed. I decided to check my voltage to see how much headroom I have. If I am checking the voltage correctly, it's showing that my stock voltage is 1.05V. I believe it starts at .875V, but once I actually put a load on the video card it jumps straight to 1.05. This is also disappointing as I have seen many people talking about voltages must lower than 1.05V.

My questions are...

Did I just happen to get a bad card?

Am I reading my stock voltage correctly?

Is my stock voltage too high to raise any higher?

Basically I would just like some advice/help if anyone has some to offer.

Thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about trying
  1. if your stock voltage on a vanilla card was 1.05, then yeah...you got a bad card as you put it. or rather you got a card than needs more voltage to realize stock speeds. therefore your overclocking headroom is lower. I think my stock voltage (same card) was 0.975v...but I read some guys on the EVGA forum that had as low as 0.925v...so they were able to OC to 700/1400/1800 by just upping their stock voltage to what mine was. I had to up my voltage to 1.000v to get 700/1400/1800. I can get 800/1600/2000 at about 1.087v, but the temps climb pretty high.

I did notice a 5 degree C drop in temps by swapping out the stock thermal paste with IC diamond 24 carat paste.
  2. japps2 said:
    if your stock voltage on a vanilla card was 1.05, then yeah...you got a bad card as you put it. or rather you got a card than needs more voltage to realize stock speeds. therefore your overclocking headroom is lower. I think my stock voltage (same card) was 0.975v...but I read some guys on the EVGA forum that had as low as 0.925v...so they were able to OC to 700/1400/1800 by just upping their stock voltage to what mine was. I had to up my voltage to 1.000v to get 700/1400/1800. I can get 800/1600/2000 at about 1.087v, but the temps climb pretty high.

I did notice a 5 degree C drop in temps by swapping out the stock thermal paste with IC diamond 24 carat paste.

Well I fiddled around with it a lost last night and did achieve a somewhat stable overclock. By somewhat I just mean that I haven't stress tested the gpu for hours and hours at the overclocked setings. Here is what I got to.

Core: 725
    Shader: 1450
    Memory: 1700
    Voltage: stock @ 1.05V

I think what I have found is that I have a card that simply doesn't want to overclock in memory speed. My card hung up in furmark when I had 750/1500/1674. I lowered it back down to 725/1450/1674 and it seemed to run fine. Then I tried 725/1450/1725 and it eventually crashed again, so I Lowered it to 725/1450/1700 and that's where I sit right now. My temperatures in furmark top out around 86 degrees C, but that is also with the card sounding like a jet engine. Is this temp too high? At stock settings in furmark I was topping out around 82 deg C.

When I ran the Just Cause 2 Benchmarks, I saw a 6% increase in avg framerate with overclocked settings in the less demanding Desert Sunrise bench. However, I saw a 16% increase in frames in the more demanding Dark Tower benchmark. During these tests my card reached a temp of 76 deg C, but they aren't very long tests so this number may not represent the final temperature I would expect when gaming for long periods of time. I would expect my temps to be lower than those in Furmark though.

All in all I am still somewhat disappointed with my card's overclocking and stock voltage. On the bright side, I have yet to find a game that cripples my 470 at stock settings. Really I just wanted to go ahead and find my stable overclock settings so that when the next "Crysis" comes out, I can run my card at those settings.

Any advice about max voltage/temperature for the 470? When I say max, I mean the maximum that doesn't burn out my card in a year. I plan on having this card for at least a year (got it in August) or as long as it takes before the performance is not up to par with current games. At that point I may opt for SLI GTX 460's or more than likely a single card solution from either Nvidia or ATI.
  3. Update:

Just ran the Crysis bench to see what kind of performance gains I could get with my oc'ed settings.

@ stock settings (607/1215/1674)
    avg fps was 26.7489 @ 73 deg C

@ oc'ed settings (725/1450/1700)
    avg fps was 29.76 @ 75 deg C

That's good for an 11.26% increase over stock.

Both tests were comprised of 10 loops and ran at stock voltage, which is 1.05V in my case.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx Overclocking