P5E64 WS EVOLUTION weird problem

G

Hi,

I have a problem in Windows and in DOS mode, the USB ports shutdown (lights off on keyboard and mouse and no response) and the computer freezes, it happens both in Windows and in DOS mode and it happens randomly :fou: .

As it also happens in DOS I am ruling out a drivers problem, I have tried all devices in several different USB ports, using the ones in the back of the mobo as well as the ones connected to the internal headers, the same problem.

It does not matter if the PC is idle, working, playing, writing in Word, or even in DOS, it hard locks, with AA in the codes card (so nothing to explain here), USB power off, old mouse, new mouse, etc, etc..

Any ideas? I have gone through 3 BIOS and the same in all three, as of now I have the latest. :(

I have gone through Asus Support and they keep telling me the same rubbish, I am in the process of getting a Gigabyte X48T-DQ6 and returning the mobo, as it is still under the 2 years warranty.

Mobo: P5E64 WS EVOLUTION (Rev: 2.00G BIOS: 0802)
Video: Gigabyte GV-N26OC-896H-B (Driver: 190.62)
CPU : Intel Socket 775 Q9550 Stepping E0 2.8GHz
Mem: 2x2GB OCZ DDR3 OCZ3P1600EB4G
HDD: Maxtor Diamondmax21 320GB + 2 Maxtor 320GB in RAID0
Audio: Auzentech Forte 7.1
Keyboard: Logitech GT15
Mouse: Logitech G9
SO: WinXP SP3

Thanks

Regards

J.

Can you use a USB keyboard to get into the BIOS and navigate around the BIOS menus? If so your USB ports are OK.

Not sure what you are referring to when you say "DOS mode" - DOS never supported USB.

G

I can use the USB keyboard always, the USB ports are perfect, all work as they should be...

...till something cuts the power to them and the system locks, and it does not matter if you are in the BIOS, in Windows, or you have used an old DOS disk to boot, suddenly the USB power is cut and the system locks, no temp problem, no PSU problem, nothing.

Rgrds

J.

G

CPU temps are low (remember that sometimes the system locks in idle, no load), no OC, good cooler and cool case, that is not the issue.

Anyway, looks like it is a common problem in some Asus mobos, so I am as of now looking for a replacement mobo, most like Gigabyte X48T-DQ6 or DFI LP UT X48-T3RS (I have DDR3), Asus has given me static on this issue, but on their forums I am not the only one with the problem. It is a pity, but for me Asus has gone off my sights for new parts.

Thanks a lot for the help.

Regards

J.