Gaming/Workstation

This is a configuration that I have been playing around with. my primary system just died, and so i am thinking of ordering soon. My goal with the system is to have a respectable box for gaming, the occasional video, and hobby video editing. The price is by no means hard and fast, I wouldn't have much problem going up from there, if there was a worthwhile reason. And finally, I was thinking of going with a coolit domino water cooler, as I read some pretty impressive reviews on the subject, but anyone cooling ideas are welcome. I will be overclocking, and I am thinking of using a raid 5 setup.


1 COOLER MASTER Storm Sniper SGC-6000-KKN1-GP Black ABS Bezel, SECC Body ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
$149.99

4 Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
$399.96 ($99.99 each)

1 SAMSUNG 2433BW High Glossy Black 24" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor
$299.99

2 SAPPHIRE 100259-1GL Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card
$379.98 ($189.99 each)

1 CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply
$129.99

1 mushkin 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 998679
$149.99

1 LG Black Blu-ray/HD DVD-ROM & 16X DVD±R DVD Burner SATA Model GGC-H20L
$109.99

1 Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920
GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD4P LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
$519.98

Subtotal: 2,139.87
10 answers Last reply
More about gaming workstation
  1. WOW, nice build. The only thing I would wonder about is the PSU...I know the 1000W corsair is 100 more, but with 4 HDD and Crossfire...and the 1000W is modular...however, the 850 might be enough, someone will look in and say for sure.
    But the PSU and the MB are the 2 things you DO NOT want to skimp on, get more than you need and not worry about it. But..overkill in those 2 things can be a good thing, but I overkill in most things!! LOL
  2. Here save yourself some money....

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.176943 Combo Discount: -$40.00 Combo Price: $239.98 $20.00 Mail-In Rebate
    1. CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
    2. COOLER MASTER Storm Sniper SGC-6000-KKN1-GP Black ABS Bezel, SECC Body ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231247 $94.99 Free Shipping*
    G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

    Then I would drop down to one vid card for now and it would be the gtx 285 for a few reasons. First it beats the h*ll out of the 4870, second it is a low power consumption and low heat producing card, and third it's only topped by the gtx 295 and the 4870 x2.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125255 $339.99 ($309.99 after $30.00 Mail-In Rebate)
    GIGABYTE GV-N285-1GH-B GeForce GTX 285 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2009/01/16/nvidia-zotac-geforce-gtx-285-1gb/1 <---some reviews on that card
  3. Why_Me said:

    Then I would drop down to one vid card for now and it would be the gtx 285 for a few reasons. First it beats the h*ll out of the 4870, second it is a low power consumption and low heat producing card, and third it's only topped by the gtx 295 and the 4870 x2.


    Nice savings on those first two items, but for the video card, you recommend not doing a 2x 4870 setup? What is the reason here, just a price/performance thing, or because crossfire is troublesome to set up? TBH, the alternative that I was considering was the 295, but the price is a bit higher, and It didn't seem like it gave much boost over the crossfire setup. Further clarification appricited.
  4. joedhiggins said:
    Nice savings on those first two items, but for the video card, you recommend not doing a 2x 4870 setup? What is the reason here, just a price/performance thing, or because crossfire is troublesome to set up? TBH, the alternative that I was considering was the 295, but the price is a bit higher, and It didn't seem like it gave much boost over the crossfire setup. Further clarification appricited.


    I would switch out the 4870 for the 285 for the reasons listed, but if you can afford to get two 285's right now and it fits your budget I would jump on it. Two of those 285's running in SLI is nothing short of a F-22 fighter jet.
  5. Ok, I follow, you meant as path for future upgrade, I got you. I may throw 2 on there. How is the current SLI implementation, does it work pretty smoothly? The last SLI build I tried was a bit painful. And If i do go this route, should I perchance buy a tripple SLI capable board, for future expansion options, or is the DR from 2-3 boards overwhelming?
  6. joedhiggins said:
    Ok, I follow, you meant as path for future upgrade, I got you. I may throw 2 on there. How is the current SLI implementation, does it work pretty smoothly? The last SLI build I tried was a bit painful. And If i do go this route, should I perchance buy a tripple SLI capable board, for future expansion options, or is the DR from 2-3 boards overwhelming?


    On the tripple SLI board...it's your call. I'm not sure about the gains you would get...just google it I would think to see the reviews on running three cards.

    btw, was that other time you ran SLI with an Nvidea chipset board ? If so, I can see why you had issues.
  7. Not long ago the Anandtech website did a review on the single, dual, triple and quad GPU scaling.
    MultiGPU Update: Finding the True Halo with 4-way
  8. Why get two vga cards, when a single 4870X2 is essentially the same?

    I would agree with why-me that a GTX285 as a single card would be better. First, because it's performance is close to the 4870X2, but avoids possible sli related problems of two GPU cards. You will get diminishing returns with any configuration much stronger. If you later find that you want more, a second GTX285 is a good upgrade.

    If you are inclined to go all out at the start, look at the GTX295.
  9. Anyone know if the PSU I selected would be sufficient to the task of running this box? I am definitely planning on running a dual video card setup (though I am now on the fence between nvidia's and ATI's options.=). If the PSU isnt big enough, what should I look at instead?
  10. joedhiggins said:
    Anyone know if the PSU I selected would be sufficient to the task of running this box? I am definitely planning on running a dual video card setup (though I am now on the fence between nvidia's and ATI's options.=). If the PSU isnt big enough, what should I look at instead?

    Your psu requirements are primarily determined by the power needs of the vga configuration. For crossfire 4870, you need a 600 watt psu with 4 6-pin pci-e connectors:
    http://ati.amd.com/products/Radeonhd4800/requirements.html

    SLI of GTX260-216 requirements would be similar.

    The corsair 850 you picked is plenty, and at a good price with the current rebate.
    The 750watt unit would do fine also.
    A good alternative is the PC P&C 750 watt unit for $89.99 after rebate:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341011
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product