Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows Server 2008 and/or 2008 R2 motherboards

Last response: in Motherboards
September 15, 2009 12:56:51 PM

Hi,

I'm a software Developer, and I wanted to get a new computer and put Windows 2008 (or possibly 2008 R2) in it. The computer will partly be used for development, and partly for a server for a test environment. I'm not looking for major speed, just low cost and good compatibility.

I was going to just buy any old computer, but then I was told that some motherboards have compatibility issues with Server 2008. Is this something I should be concerned about? If so, any processor/motherboard recomendations? I'm in a 3rd world country at the moment, so we are about 6 months + behind the U.S. I7 is just barely out here, I was going to go with an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 processor, or thereabouts.

It may be that I have nothing to worry about, and I'm going to hit some computer shops shortly and ask them what they recommend, but I thought that first I'd try to arm myself with the inside scoop from any of you guys that are willing to help :) 

Jason

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
September 15, 2009 8:28:59 PM

It shouldn't be so much a motherboard issue as a CPU issue. Server 2008 R2 is only available in 64-bit form, so you'll need a 64-bit capable processor. And if you want to use Hyper-V then you'll need a CPU with virtualization support.
September 16, 2009 1:53:06 PM

sminlal said:
It shouldn't be so much a motherboard issue as a CPU issue. Server 2008 R2 is only available in 64-bit form, so you'll need a 64-bit capable processor. And if you want to use Hyper-V then you'll need a CPU with virtualization support.

Thanks for the answer.

After doing more research yesterday, I realized that my question was a pretty ignorant one. But hey, I was ignorant when I asked it :) 

I ended up getting an Intel I7 920 processor with 12 gigs of RAM. I'm planning to run several VM's for testing purposes on the box, so I needed more than 6. 12 seemed like overkill, but 6 wasn't enough, so I had to go with 12.

Anyways, thanks for the answer, and I think I'm good to go now. My computer is ready tomorrow, so I'll find out then.

Jason
m
l
November 30, 2012 6:24:32 AM

hey what motherboard u bought...even i have the same requirement as u...
so i u can pls help saying wat all u bought for configuring the server....
motherboard,processor,RAM
m
l
!