Sign in with
Your question

Slow Startup After Card Reader Install

Last response: in Systems
March 29, 2009 6:09:59 PM

Hey guys, long time fan, first time poster.

I recently installed a new Rosewill Card Reader (RCR-IM5001) into my custom built system. However, the startup time now takes upwards of 3 minutes(!) when it used to take mere seconds.

On the Post Screen, everything flies by until it gets to

Quote:
Auto Detecting USB Mass Storage Devices
Device #01:

...which is where the extra time comes in.

The AMI code(?) in the bottom right is 0078 while it's 'froze' on finding the device.

After a few minutes drag by, there is a message, but it flies by so fast that I can't read it. After that, the system starts up normally.

Searching the 'net, it seems that the system is trying to search through each USB slot for a boot device, and then timing out on each one. (at least, that's the best answer I found).

Unfortunately, I found nothing in the BIOS that would indicate that its searching through these as a Boot device ("Auto Detect other boot devices" is set to "No," and the boot priorities doesn't list anything but my Hard Drive and the DVD Burner).

Further, once started, the "Safely Remove Hardware" dialog lists
Quote:
Remove USB Mass Storage Devices (G:, H:, I:, J:, K:,),

...even though there is nothing in any of the slots or USB ports.

It does this whether or not I have anything plugged into a USB port. I suppose I could disconnect the Card Reader and only reconnect it when I need it, but opening the case each time to plug/unplug the wires would be about as annoying as waiting the 3 minutes.

So, is there any way to fix this, or am I doomed to make a sandwich or start laundry while I wait for the system to boot?
a b B Homebuilt system
March 29, 2009 6:41:07 PM

The "Remove USB Mass Storage Devices (G:, H:, I:, J:, K:,)" is normal. I have a USB card reader installed on several PCs and they all behave like that. All card readers are from different manufacturers, but none is from Rosewill.

You didn't specify what motherboard you have, but there usually is a setting that allows booting from USB devices. It should probably be disabled or the timeout set to 0 to resolve your issue.
March 29, 2009 7:00:09 PM

Thanks for the quick reply, GhislainG.

However, I had previously searched for anything relating to booting from the USB devices in the BIOS, and found nothing of the sort. I never found any reference to the card reader, actually. I will look again the next time I start my computer, though.

Ah, and sorry about the motherboard. I meant to specify it, and my other system specs:

Windows XP Professional SP3

Foxconn A79A-S AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard

Galaxy 96GGF6HMFEXX GeForce 9600 GT

AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor

OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200AAKS 320GB 7200

SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223F
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
March 29, 2009 8:46:35 PM

Connect a USB device and power up your system. In the BIOS, what are your settings under "Integrated Peripherals", "USB Configuration"? Select "USB Mass Storage Device", press <Enter> and check the reset delay (see page 41 of the manual).

If you connect a USB key to the Card Reader, does it work properly? Don't rule out the possibility that your card reader is defective.

March 29, 2009 10:58:50 PM

I'm afraid it didn't list "USB Mass Storage Device" as a selectable item. Under "USB Devices Enabled" it listed "1 keyboard, 2 mice, 6 drives" (your guess is as good as mine about the 2 mice...) However, I can't select any of those, as its a grayed out list.

Also, once Windows starts, the USB drives seem to work fine (I'm playing music from my MP3 player right now :D ), if that's what you were wondering about.
a b B Homebuilt system
March 29, 2009 11:37:47 PM

If I were you I'd try that Rosewill Card Reader in another system to see if the same issue occurs. I've never seen such an issue with a card reader, but I don't have a Rosewill unit or a Foxconn motherboard.
March 29, 2009 11:48:46 PM

Thanks for trying to help, though.

Unfortunately, I don't have another system that I can hook it up to. My last computer uses IDE cables instead of SATA... :( 
a b B Homebuilt system
March 30, 2009 12:01:00 AM

Is the problem with SATA or USB? Your original post implies that the issue is with USB devices. Therefore you can connect it to any PC that has an on-board USB header. The eSATA connector doesn't seem to be an issue. To make sure, disconnect the SATA cable and you should still have the problem. Disconnect the USB cable and your problem should be gone.
March 30, 2009 12:29:51 AM

Doh! of course... my brain doesn't work sometimes. :whistle:  I'll give it a go soon.
March 30, 2009 1:49:00 AM

Alright, well, I tested it in the other computer, which booted up fine. Then I booted up this one with everything connected, and it was still as slow as it had been. Finally, I booted up this system again, without the USB connectors connected, and as predicted, the system started as fast as it always did (so nice to see that, even if its short lived). :sweat: 

Is there something I'm missing? Some way to make the system see that my USB drives are not USB Mass Storage Devices?
a b B Homebuilt system
March 30, 2009 2:07:24 AM

The USB card reader might be incompatible with your motherboard. Hopefully you'll find one that works well with it.
March 30, 2009 3:09:46 AM

That would be unfortunate, I would imagine.

However, on the plus side, my front USB ports on my Case suddenly decided to work, and that was half the reason I bought the card reader... so now I can unplug the USB connector for the card reader, and just use the ones on my case. Huzzah!

Anyways, thanks again for you time and patience. :) 
April 10, 2012 1:59:50 AM

fires right up on my asus and msi boards with no hesitation , i remember when you said foxconn i cringed a little bit , i have owned 2 of those boards and i ended up throwing one of them in the trash i could not get either one to boot to bios , in fact i returned one payed the shipping just to get a highly outdated asus board just for the sole purpose to have a mobo with what i spent that would work
!