Automatic power on

urmypal

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2009
Hello guys,

Having a problem here, everything looks right when i installed MB and now the problem is when i connect the power cable the MB is automatically switched on with out a manual switch on from the ATX case. Also, holding the power switch on the case doesn't switch of the power, i have to pluck the power cable out from the power socket. Long story short, i'm not able to control the on/off from the ATX case's power switch, its always on when i connect the power cable. please advice. thank you!

x_2fast4u_x

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2007
Faulty Motherboard? Faulty PSU?
Those are my first two thoughts, however look in your bios for something like "auto on after power loss." and disable it. Should be under power management.

urmypal

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2009
This was working before when i didn't connect the power to the Video card and the video card was in the slot, though there was a long continuous beep may be expecting power for video card, but i was able to power on and forcibly shut down from the ATX switch on button. Once i connected the Video card power it stopped beeping and was surprised to see it was automatically powering on when the power cord was connected. Also, I could see that the force shut down was not happening and one more thing i observed was the CPU cooler fan (mine is a Zalmann with that blue led and copper around) was revolving faster when press the power button on the case to shut down, when i undo pressing it comes to normal speed. any thoughts?

urmypal

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2009
here is the Old working PSU spec which i'm using for the my new config

atx 250 12e
input 100-12v 6amp
200-240 3amp
o/p 12v 5v 3.3v
240 max

here is my low end system config i'm building and using above PSU.

Asus 8vx
Processor AMD athlon (not sure on clock speed and model)
256 mb Geforce 6800s video card
3 gb ram
Zalman cpu cooler fan (one with blude led and copper casing)
Antec case with antec chasis fan
two 80 gb HDD

Do u guys think the above PSU can handle the power supply to all these components or i need to use a meater one. As i my MB is not booting up on plugging the power cord. It automatically switches on with out any control from the case power button.