Sign in with
Your question

SSD Raid 0 or Single Drive

Last response: in Storage
October 26, 2010 10:45:10 AM

Hi All,

i'm caught in a bit of a dilema here. I have read a lot of people's opinions on Raid 0 SSD setups and a single but bigger SSD drive.

I am going to be purchasing the OCZ Vortex 2 SSD drive (60GB) soon and was thinking of picking up 2 of them to setup in a Raid 0 setup. Is it worth doing that or should I look at getting a 120GB single OCZ Vortex 2 drive and not run Raid 0. What are the advantages and disadvantages?

Also, I was looking at using my SSD drive/s for my Windows 7 and it's apps and using a secondary 1TB storage drive for all my games and data. Is that the correct way to do it? is it worth installing a game or 2 on the SSD drive for better performance?

Thanks in advance and hopefully I can get all this sorted and understood to purchase my new PC tomorrow!

More about : ssd raid single drive

October 26, 2010 12:56:07 PM

If you read a lot of other threads then you know all the arguments.

Short Answer: Get the bigger SSD.

Load your games onto the SSD, they will benefit the most because of all the constant resource loading. Put applications (Office, Acrobat, Visual Studio) on your HDD.

/Remember to move your web browsers cache location to the HDD as well.
a b G Storage
October 26, 2010 1:02:44 PM

RAID0 is said to be unstable, if you are going for RAID its better to do a RAID1. I would also say a single bigger SSD.
Related resources
October 27, 2010 3:03:18 AM

I recently got a 64 gb SSD for my OS and main programs.
I was running a 500 gb HDD. I plan on a Raid 0 set-up with 2/ 250 gb HDD's for storage, with my 500 for backup. Not cheap, but IMHO, bullit-proof and good for future upgrades (10 years?).
October 27, 2010 10:19:39 PM

Appreciate the replies. I think I'll go with the single bigger SSD and stick with installing my OS and games on that and apps and data on the storage drive, thanks!
October 28, 2010 12:46:46 AM

the SSD is obsolete

anyone wanting raw speed from a drive should be looking at the OCZ revodrive .
This is effectively an SSD but instead of connecting via relatively slow SATA connection it plugs into a pci-e x4 slot .
a b G Storage
October 28, 2010 9:25:35 AM

kosie said:
What are the advantages and disadvantages?

RAID 0 gives you really high sequential transfer rates, if your controller can handle them. It also causes a higher chance of data loss than a single drive. There is no access time benefit with two drives either, so just like with RAIDing two HDDs your overall OS responsiveness isn't going to improve (it's already snappy with one drive anyway).

Outlander_04 said:
the SSD is obsolete... [The OCZ revodrive] is effectively an SSD...

Seems there's a contradiction in your subtle recommendation there.
!