Screen for PC? monitor or tv

LikeGames

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Can any1 explain to me if i should opt for one over the if I want a good screen for my pc, to play games in big res ;). ty

Or does it not matter really. Look forward to reading replies, thx

r_manic

Administrator
Well if you plan to play games from a few feet away (through wireless peripherals of course), an LCD TV sounds nice. :) You might have to sacrifice resolution though, as TVs don't have the same max resolution as those high-end monitors. If that's the case, I don't think it ultimately matters, since you'll be too far to appreciate really detailed images anyway, IMHO.

rewindlabs

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009

As what monitors? the only resolution i can think of is that bs at 25xx/16xx....and that is a waste

leon2006

Distinguished
I use a 70 Inch HDTV for playing and for work.....The only downside just for the sake of stating one is its limited to 1080P....This has no impact on my needs & wants. So I couldn't care less.

Other than that it’s Awesome!

Its great for playing, viewing HD movies & TV shows, and of course for my work.

For playing games I use USB-2 cable for Keyboard and Mouse....I don't use wireless for gaming.

Other than that everything is wireless... I use Logitech DiNovo Mini as my control

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/keyboards/keyboard/devices/3848&cl=us,en

Thats my personal preference

rags_20

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
I've always wondered about this. I mean, a 24" monitor uses more pixels than 1080p but like leon says, even 70" HDTVs use 1080p. Won't this result in poor image quality? Forget about gaming. Take the desktop, reading text. Won't they suffer a loss? Wonder when Quad HD will show up? 2160p - wow!

rags_20

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
I mean, didn't some university research that you can't read for long periods on a screen due to the lack of smoothness in letters? That you could read for longer duration with less stress if you anti-aliase text? What I'm asking is with 1080p on 70", wouldn't reading be too stressful to the eye?

leon2006

Distinguished
Try it yourself... Go to Best Buy or equivalent store. Plug in your notebook and judge it base on what you see. You have to make decision for what works for you.

I work in front of a computer for 16 hrs a day. I doesnt bother me at all. It may not apply for everybody. We play games for days. But again thats for me.

Check with your eye doctor for what is good for your eye.

stonebattle

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
I've been using a 37 inch LCD 1080P TV as a monitor for about 3 years now. It's great and I would not use anything smaller now. There's still a screen door effect at 2.5 feet or so viewing, but it's not bad at all. I would think an LCD screen larger may require higher resolution to avoid this effect becoming noticable.