Can't rename network drive

scottw182

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
I tried to rename one of my network drive mappings and something strange happened. It lets me delete characters from the current name, but not add any new ones. I've tried disconnecting and then re-connecting, but once it re-maps it still has the same name I shortened it to. I've been trying to Google the issue without much luck, but based on some things I've read, it seems you technically cannot rename the drive mapping, you would have to rename the actual share/folder you're mapped to. So I don't know why it would let me delete part of the name, how can I fix this?

I'm using Windows XP SP3.

scottw182

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010

"I've tried disconnecting and then re-connecting, but once it re-maps it still has the same name I shortened it to."

scottw182

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010

I don't believe I have the rights to do that. What's weird though is the actual folder name didn't change, just the way it's displayed in My Computer under network drives.

PudgyChicken

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
The name of the share and the name of the folder are two different things. If you go on the host machine, right click on the folder, go to sharing, and from there try to change the name.

If you don't have proper privileges, ask your systems administrator to help you.

bekieark

Honorable
Feb 25, 2012
It is not that, it has nothing to do with share name on remote machine. I agree with "scottw182" - it is not possible to ADD new letters to the local name of a network drive. It is still possible to REMOVE letters, so to make the name shorter. But it is impossible to make it longer.

I have Windows XP Home SP3. There's a mapped network drive named "My Drive". When I select "Rename..." I can click on the name and rename it to "My Drive" or "My Dr" or "My". The name stays on in Explorer and is visible correctly afterwards. But when I try to enter "My Drive 1" it is not possible. It is just not possible to type any letter more than the last name.

It has nothing to do with names of the shares given on the host (e.g. a NAS drive). It is about the custom name given in local File Explorer / My Computer view. That's weird and I guess it is a bug.

geeg

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013

Had the same problem, but found that if I deleted part or all of the path it would let me rename and would then also display the drive letter.

isb2014

Honorable
Jan 15, 2014
run regedit
go to Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints2
look for the drive you want to rename
remove _LabelFromReg if you want to use the source folder name
or you may want to edit the name there
go back to Windows Explorer
disconnect the network drive
remap the drive
Voila!!