I need help upgradeing (first time)

superior96

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
hi everybody, i am trying to play age of empires 3 with what i have (stock system)
the game plays great until i get to the ship fighting scene. i got the patch but same and i dont
want to change the settings(i like the new tech) might update, but what chip set or video/grafix card.
and if i do what one will let the game work properly. i dont play other games, im always at work and dont ever have time so
no need to go crazy. all my drives are updated.

if you dont mind (help)

thanks

g3force

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009

More information about your system would be great, or otherwise I'd just assume your building an entirely new system.
Also, please don't double post.

superior96

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009

just trying to get to know the site.

vista home 6.0
inspiron 530s
intel pentium dual cpu e2200 @2.20ghz
3060mb ram
direct x 10

intel G33/G31 express chip fam
intel GMA3100
286mb
1440x900 (32 bit) 60 hz

thanks for the quick feedback g3force

rewindlabs

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009

Il just move over here with you...

Now what is your budget

What are all of the games you plan to play and do you need eyecandy...

You should be able to get gaming for not to much...albeit you won't be able to play new titles like crysis and gta but l4d and cod 4-5 you will be able to run quite nicely

someone care to delete the thread linked below?

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/263369-33-tomshardware#bas

irkjab

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
I think that the best you could do is the Radeon 4670

This one would do nicely:

Sapphire Radeon 4670 512mb $55

Its not the fastest card out there, but it sure beats your integrated graphics.

I would wait for confirmation that the card does in fact work with the dell, I can't be sure.

superior96

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009

do you think i also need 64 bit or no
thanks

rewindlabs

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009

No and that was the card i was about to recommend :p

It should do nicely at your resolution

irkjab

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
Well, its really the highest end card the op can get. The dell won't have a PCI-E power connector, and the case requires a low profile card.

g3force

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
+1 for the 4670 suggestion, though I'm not sure the supplied 250 watt PSU will be able to handle it. I can't seem to find any slimline upgrade PSU however. :(
Keep in mind that adding the video card will almost certainly void your warranty. Read this.
This limited hardware warranty does not cover:

-Software, including the operating system and software added to the Dell-branded hardware products through our factory-integration system, third-party software, or the reloading of software
-Non-Dell branded and Solution Provider Direct products and accessories
-Problems that result from:
-External causes such as accident, abuse, misuse, or problems with electrical power
-Servicing not authorized by Dell
-Usage that is not in accordance with product instructions
-Failure to follow the product instructions or failure to perform preventive maintenance
-Problems caused by using accessories, parts, or components not supplied by Dell
-Products with missing or altered Service Tags or serial numbers
-Products for which Dell has not received payment
-Normal wear and tear
So if the video card causes any sort of unrepairable damage (which is unlikely), OR the PSU shorts out, you most likely won't be getting any form of help from DELL.

rewindlabs

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Geforce....unless your post also says "at dell we know you had a gpu int here....we know"

Just remove the gpu and don't say you added a gpu...dell can't tell you did....it should run just fine off that psu as iv seen to reports of it doing fine so far...

Yeah, you should be fine with that 4650. There are 9600GTs, and even one 9800GT, low profile cards, but of course they draw more power, so it's not a good idea. The 4650 will provide you with a big performance increase in gaming, and should be o.k. with the PSU you have, hopefully ^_^.

g3force

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009

Good point, I wasn't thinking straight. :non:
My main concern still is that the PSU will not be able to handle it (sorry for being contradictory!). From what I've read, 250 watts is enough, but you may have a problem further down the road.

EDIT: I just read that the DELL psu supplies 18 amps on the 12v rail, which should be more than sufficient for the 4670. Sorry for being too overly cautious. :)

rewindlabs

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009

;) Your not thinking sly enough

Really that is good news then it should be more then enough to power the 4670 :sweat: