Newbie - Heatsink to MOB flat surface?

dpaul

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
Hi,
I am a novice builder. I have read that you should install the cpu and heatsink on a flat surface before it is attached to the brass posts so that the MOB does not flex. Do you agree? If so do I have to worry about any static electricity if done on a wood table? I wouldn't think so.
Thanks in advance!

x_2fast4u_x

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2007
i think its the other way around, thing about it, if its not attached to anything and pressure is applied the the MoBo, its more likely to flex then if its strapped down WELL to the case...

hope this helps. did not mean to sound grouchy, just came out that way.

dpaul

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
doesn't sound grouchy. Even if it was I appreciate you taking the time to read and respond.
In response to your comment though, if it is attached to the MOB at say 6 brass posts, it is not supported over a large area of the board.
If it is flat on a table the entire board is supported. So it made sense to me when I read that you should do this. I'm sure it doesn't matter unless you really apply a lot of pressure to the heatsink, but I wanted to take every precaution since it was my first build.

Then I got to thinking that my anti-static wrist band attached to my case wouldn't do anything if I didn't have the MOB attached to the case.
I'm pretty sure I don't have to worry about an electrical difference between me and a wood table because wood is a pretty good insulator, but like I said I am a beginner.

I think it's best to install the HSF outside the case. It's especially important if you're using push-pins so you can ensure all the pins are fully seated. I like to put the motherboard on a cardboard box. I've never had any trouble installing the stock Intel HSF, just be sure to read the directions. The push-pins need to be turned the opposite direction as the arrows for installation.

I always install the CPU, HSF, and RAM before installing the motherboard into the case.

Definitely heatsink {and RAM] before you install the mb in the case .

You need to be able to see the back of the board

I always put the foam from the packaging on a flat surface and then the antistatic bag on top of that as a base to work on