vale

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2004
I recently reinstalled Windows XP. When I go into Device Manager, my video card (NVidia 8800 GTS) is missing (it should be there right?) and I don't see my monitor (LG). I do see a yellow question mark labeled as "Video Controller (VGA Compatible)". When I go into Display, the monitor is shown as "Default Monitor".

I assume the problem is that Windows isn't using the Nvidia drivers. I reinstalled the motherboard drivers and then attempt to install the Nvidia drivers from CD. The install of the drivers failed because Nvidia says it doesn't see any hardware compatible with the drivers.

I tried changing the "default monitor" under Display, but the Properties button is grayed out. I tried disabling the "Video Controller" but that didn't do anything. I tried using the hardware wizard - no luck.

Can someone give me a few ideas about what to try next? Thanks.

r_manic

Administrator
Have you tried video card drivers from NVIDIA's or the maker's website? Maybe the ones on your CD just don't work. You can also check if your card has been properly installed.

Also, "Default Monitor" is fine; that's usually what Windows shows when no specific drivers for your display are installed (you might want to look into doing that as well). Hope this helps, and keep us updated please :)

mrmmacd77

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009

Go to www.nvidia.com and get the most recent set of drivers for your card 182.50 drivers. they are signed and they should install w/o issue... I would go to LG sight and grab your updated drivers for your Monitor their.... Make it a habit to go to the sites and grab the most recent set of drivers when ever you wipe/reinstall.... I usually keep a folder with them all downloaded of a usb drive. Usually by the time you buy a new component or whatever the drivers are out of date anyways....

You may have to play with the Moniter drivers a bit more than just double clicking like you will have to with the video card drivers... Sometimes you just unpack a driver set into a folder go to device manager, click on your default monitor, right click update drivers, browse your pc/have disk and browse to where you just unpacked all the moniter drivers.... click on your model driver set and just yes it to death... This is only for your monitor though...

As long as every thing is working it isnt really an issue, just means that the drivers being used are not recognised. As said monitors that dont use drivers will display as default plug and play monitor or some such.
Mactronix

vale

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2004
I updated the motherboard drivers from the web site and then downloaded the video card drivers. After installing the updated motherboard drivers and the new drivers for the video card, the problem was solved! Thanks for the suggestion.