After shutdown, my CPU is still turned on doing nothing.

zirulp

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
Everytime I shutdown my computer, the computer shows a black screen on the monitor with the CPU still turned on.

I'm using a Windows Vista desktop.

I have an NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS video card and 2.00 GB of RAM.

**Sorry for the wrong grammar because I'm not an English native speaker. Will my English will do?

***I need a reply, answer or solution immediately. 'Cause this is driving me CRAZY! :pt1cable:

how are you turning the PC off? are you just pressing the power button? if so then it may just be putting the pc into hibernation or standby. and if its vista then going to the start menu and clicking on the red icon only puts your pc into sleep mode.

zirulp

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
I use the power button on the start menu.

But I configured it to shutdown the computer and not set it to sleep or hibernation mode.

I always turn off the computer that way.

Start > Power button > Wait for it to shutdown completely > Black screen > Then I have to press the power button on the CPU to turn it off.

sounds like the button settings didn't stick.are you sure those setting were not for the power button on the tower and not the button in the start menu?. try going to start and then click on the arrow next to the red button and then select shutdown. see if that will shut the computer down completely

zirulp

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
I used the shutdown option from the arrow thing, like you said, but the same thing happened. A black screen showed up.