Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Overclocking
  • Overdrive
  • MSI
  • ATI
Last response: in Overclocking
December 5, 2010 11:02:54 PM

I am in the early process of learning how to overclock, and with my MSI Hawk Radeon 5770 they include their Afterburner software for overclocking. ATI however in the Catalyst Control Center has the ATI Overdrive, which is also has overclocking functionality.

My question is, which one is going to be better for overclocking the GPU.

My MB is an Asus Crosshair IV Formula, and it is super easy to overclock, so I want to find something that works just as easy as that but for the GPU.

Thanks in advance!

More about : msi afterburner ati overdrive

a b U Graphics card
a c 296 K Overclocking
December 6, 2010 7:21:48 PM

Hi selonimes and welcome to Tom's forum.

I use Afterburner with very good results.
m
l
December 6, 2010 7:50:45 PM

Thanks! It seems to be that most people like it...especially since you can change the voltage...but I have yet to get to that level yet.

Thanks again!
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a c 296 K Overclocking
December 7, 2010 1:20:29 AM

Your welcome, if you want change the voltage keep in mind do it in little steps.
m
l
December 7, 2010 3:19:17 AM

Yes Afterburner is MUCH better than Overdrive...for some reason, overdrive made my Sapphire Vapor-X 5770 unstable at 870/1220, but it's totally stable without raising voltage in Afterburner at 925/1325...
m
l
December 7, 2010 4:01:20 AM

I actually was trying to use the EPU program...for I guess better energy...man did it mess my stability.

Anyway I will work on the GPU soon...I think I am going to take it slow as I don't want to do too much...not sure what kind of GPU I have as I know sometimes they can really get overclocked and others not. We will see soon though I guess!
m
l
December 20, 2010 2:14:38 PM

Here's a dumb question....can we use msi afterburner if we don't have an msi card?

I have 2 5850s, one HIS, one ASUS. If not, what would you recommend as the best way to manage those cards under one program? Just CCC?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a c 296 K Overclocking
December 20, 2010 3:04:33 PM

Debeucci said:
Here's a dumb question....can we use msi afterburner if we don't have an msi card?

I have 2 5850s, one HIS, one ASUS. If not, what would you recommend as the best way to manage those cards under one program? Just CCC?

Yeah MSI Afterburner can be used with any GPU even if this isn't MSI.
m
l
December 21, 2010 5:08:21 PM

And do MSI cards get better results than other GPUs or is it the same?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a c 296 K Overclocking
December 21, 2010 5:14:51 PM

julius 85 said:
And do MSI cards get better results than other GPUs or is it the same?

It's the same for all, the overclocking capabilities depends of the GPU by himself and not of the program.
m
l
December 23, 2010 1:08:02 AM

Just an update...I did seem to have issues with stability as I went. Granted there were a string of BSOD that I had. I have no idea what truly happened but I moved everything back to stock on the CPU and GPU and I was fine. I guess its just about finding the perfect balance.
m
l
December 24, 2010 7:04:19 AM

selonimes said:
Just an update...I did seem to have issues with stability as I went. Granted there were a string of BSOD that I had. I have no idea what truly happened but I moved everything back to stock on the CPU and GPU and I was fine. I guess its just about finding the perfect balance.

Maybe heats your issue.
This isn't really the very best example but on my i7-930 I have a hyper 212+ cooler and the first time I applied thermal paste it was...crappy. At that time I could barely crack 3.0 ghz before 1) cores broke 80c and 2) my mobo wouldn't post
Once I reseated I got to 4.0ghz with sane cooler no problems stable (I made it 3.5 ghz for everyday use)
Not really sure if that helped what im trying to say is that the heat won't let you overclock and 5850's run pretty hot...
m
l
!