wazzo

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
I just got some new components for a pc asus m4a79t deluxe mobo, phenom 955 am3 cpu and OCZ Reaper 4GB DDR3 PC3-10666C6 1333MHz memory i was aware off the bios issue with the 955 cpu so got a new bios chip with the latest version. Upon installing all the parts i took my gtx 260 out of my old pc installed it and turned the system on but nothing happens the screen is just black and i aslo noticed the fan on the gfx card is not moving. The card works fine in my other pc so i dont no what could be wrong i have also cleared the cmos to no affect. I have plugged both off the power cables into it and tryed 2 different psu one is OCZ GameXStream 1010w and the other is a Tagan 2-Force II 700w. I took one stick off ram out and turned it on and still does the same thing gfx card fan still noy moving aswell.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

I would remove the board and look for a standoff that needs to be moved away from circuitry to an open board hole. While the board is out, do a bare test with just the cpu/heatsink, one stick of memory, video, and keyboard. Touch the power switch pins with a screwdriver to power on.

wazzo

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
Thanks for the reply i took the mobo and tryed what you said and it still does the same thing never had a problem like this before maybe its a defective mobo.

wazzo

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
No its a asus m4a79t deluxe mobo with a gtx 260 i have double checked all the connections and re built it twice when i turn it on the heatsink fan comes on but nothing is displayed on the screen and the gfx card fan dont come on ive tryed another gfx card aswell and it still displays nothing on the screen.

will_chellam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
did you say you replaced the BIOS chip - as in physically emoved it and put a new one in? Did you program the chip yourself or buy it online - I reckon its got to be the no. 1 suspect....

When you press the power do you get anything at all? any noise whirring, buzzing, does the PSU even power on?

wazzo

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
I purchased the bios chip from ebay when i first got the parts with the original bios chip installed it done exactly the same thing as it does with the new bios chip installed. The psu powers on and the 2lights on the mobo light up and the heatsink fan comes on but the gfx card fan does not. I havent got another am3 cpu to test in it either which is a pain.

PaulR08

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
It could be you have a bad motherboard. Check the caps on the board to see if any are blown/bad. Also, check the PCI-e connection on the board for any defects and the pins on the graphics card.

wazzo

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
I checked the caps and both pci-e i cant see any visble damage on them looks fine to me might contact the supplier and see what they have to say.