Sign in with
Your question

Recent convert to AMD and ATI needs your help

Last response: in Overclocking
December 6, 2010 4:41:22 AM

Hello Tom's Hardware forums!

Google has always brought me here more than not and I feel it's time to join up and start in on this great community. Whenever I have had questions about anything I need PC related, I've always taken the same and heavily repeated statement "Search first, post second" that is on any forum I see. Well today, I am breaking that rule.

I am new to the AMD and ATI universe as I am a recent convert from Intel and nVidia. I have recently acquired the following products through newegg and am now posting from it successfully with no hiccups.

ASRock 870 EXTREME3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition Callisto 3.2GHz Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Desktop Processor
Arctic Silver 5
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory
hec HP585D RETAIL 585W ATX12V PSU

CANNIBALIZED PARTS
---------------------------
Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4650
250gb Sata HDD
300gb Sata HDD

Crammed it all in a...

and hooked it to a...

and installed Windows 7 x64.

(I am going to be upgrading to a new card and would love some input on that also.)

Utilized the OCC featured on the motherboard to unlock the other two cores. Currently is an x4 @ 3.2ghz. I remembered that prime95 was a great tool to test overclocking stability. Idle temps are at 34c. After around 10 to 15 mins at full load in prime95, I shut it down even though there are no errors in "Torture Test" with default settings. The reason is that the temps were at 63c. I've read that crit is 70c to 72c. Didn't want to let it get any higher. So, I know that you are going to suggest I do not use a stock fan. But is this normal for what I should be experiencing as a user with the system I have?

Also installed Rocketdock, but had to uninstall due to it crashing my system.

ALSO also! Lol. Shouldn't I be "blown away" by the speed of this thing? Other than that, it's not really blazing fast compared to a laptop I have that just fresh installed Windows 7:HE x86 with onboard graphics, 2gb RAM, and a 120gb Sata HDD. Even though I am I'm playing CoD: BO, Borderlands, Resident Evil 5 and WoW all at max settings, there is minimal, and I do mean MINIMAL intermittent noticeable stutters. Prob just that old video card, eh?

(Sorry for the long ass post too. I try to be thorough instead of having to go through two pages of people going back and forth on things that could be read in the first post had they POSTED it.)

More about : recent convert amd ati

a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
December 6, 2010 4:50:56 AM

Probably the card. Thats a 20" 1080P monitor there right? The 4650 wasn't meant for gaming on that. Get yourself a good GPU and any problems should go away. The laptop probably has a smaller res, so you can't really compare.
December 6, 2010 4:55:27 AM

4745454b said:
Probably the card. Thats a 20" 1080P monitor there right? The 4650 wasn't meant for gaming on that. Get yourself a good GPU and any problems should go away. The laptop probably has a smaller res, so you can't really compare.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

22 inch wideflat. Connected through the cards HDMI output to the DVI input with a small HDMI-DVI converter. I think its a DVI-D converter, as I bought a HDMI male with opposite DVI male cord, but the DVI part has some pins that weren't installed.
Related resources
December 6, 2010 5:09:59 AM

Thought these might be helpful in any suggestions as I've just read over the sticky.

a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
December 6, 2010 5:25:30 AM

The Radeon HD 4650 is an inadequate graphics card especially if you're trying to game at a resolution of 1920 x 1080.
December 6, 2010 5:33:02 AM

ko888 said:
The Radeon HD 4650 is an inadequate graphics card especially if you're trying to game at a resolution of 1920 x 1080.

So for $100-$150 dollars what would be the best replacement for it? Could I run both cards and if so should I?
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
December 6, 2010 9:14:52 AM

Also get a coolmaster hyper 212+ or at least a TX3 as your stock cooler was only designed to cool a dual core CPU at 90-95W not a quad core 125W TDP
December 6, 2010 2:39:52 PM

why does your computer keep crashing when you try to install Rocketdock?
and you should really try a stress test on your cpu to see if its stable..........
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
December 6, 2010 3:49:19 PM

I think you need to drop your volts and over-clock through the BIOS.

The OCTweaker menu is very straight forward. You should learn what is going is going on with your system.

I think you can run 15x250MHz with two cores - which is probably the best thing for most of your gaming. An HD 5770 for around $120 after rebate will work nicely, too.
December 6, 2010 7:11:54 PM

tomate2 said:
why does your computer keep crashing when you try to install Rocketdock?
and you should really try a stress test on your cpu to see if its stable..........

A) It doesn't crash the system during install. It does intermittently throughout the day. It's the only program that i have problems with. I really do wish that it would work too, because I have become completely reliant on it for my desktop needs.

B) I have ran a stress test on my CPU. It just gets hotter than I would like during the test.
December 6, 2010 7:16:04 PM

Wisecracker said:
I think you need to drop your volts and over-clock through the BIOS.

The OCTweaker menu is very straight forward. You should learn what is going on with your system..

I have used the OCTweaker menu before, but I am very hesitant to do any manual tweaking because I am intimidated as it is the first time I have ever attempted any sort of overclocking. I just don't wanna blow it up. I really saved up for a while to buy all of this and would be heartbroken if I cause it to crash and burn.

"I think you can run 15x250MHz with two cores - which is probably the best thing for most of your gaming."

Please explain your thought on why this is what you would suggest, if you don't mind.
December 6, 2010 9:49:38 PM

I have the same AOC monitor and the same 4600 card on my old system. The new systems 5770 cures the stuttering with the monitor. I have also seen limited speed improvements between the old AMD 5200 and the new x3 740 in most applications with a fresh install on both systems. It does impact performances on the newest games though.

I also have the Hyper 212 on the 740 with temps in the mid 20's in an Apevia micro case. The 212 however is tall and I had to remove the case side fan and part of the case side below it to clear the heat pipes at the top. I would use the 212 if you have the room.
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
December 6, 2010 11:51:19 PM

bigcuz502 said:
Friend at work suggested this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

thoughts?

First thought, not powerful enough to cool a quad.

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?category_id=1623&product_id=2964

Take a look at their website, only designed to cool an 80W processor, your quad has a thermal output of 125W before you overclock it. Honestly I'd say that suggestion is worse than the stock cooler.
December 7, 2010 12:50:30 AM

loneninja said:
First thought, not powerful enough to cool a quad.

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?category_id=1623&product_id=2964

Take a look at their website, only designed to cool an 80W processor, your quad has a thermal output of 125W before you overclock it. Honestly I'd say that suggestion is worse than the stock cooler.

Sorry mate. Case isn't wide enough. Don't think it's going to fit at all.
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
December 7, 2010 12:10:13 PM

bigcuz502 said:
I have used the OCTweaker menu before, but I am very hesitant to do any manual tweaking because I am intimidated as it is the first time I have ever attempted any sort of overclocking. I just don't wanna blow it up. I really saved up for a while to buy all of this and would be heartbroken if I cause it to crash and burn.

"I think you can run 15x250MHz with two cores - which is probably the best thing for most of your gaming."

Please explain your thought on why this is what you would suggest, if you don't mind.

You can really blow things up --- :lol:  --- just reset the CMOS and load optimized defaults.

Read the OC guide and learn the general terms - that way communication will be much more clear. Review your manual and the terms used to describe each setting on the OC Tweaker menu.

OC tools are fun, but limited. What they tend to do on *Auto* however is over-volt. That raises your temps, sometimes unnecessarily, and limits your OC'ing. Using manual settings in the BIOS is much more effective in clocking higher with greater stability.

PhIIs like volt tweaking but not too much.

The AMD clock is 200MHz. System speeds operate as a multiple of this clock: the CPU, memory controller, HT links and memory. There are a handful of settings that work together in controlling these clocks.

Frequency (clock) and CPU multiplier determine ultimate system speed - 15 x 250MHz = 3.75GHz

With the IMC/NB at 10x --- 2500MHz

With the HT link at 8x --- 2000MHz

With the memory ratio at 533MHz --- RAMs speed 1333MHz (5.33x250MHz)

If you lock the PCIe freq to 100MHz, you should have 2 really fast cores sharing that 6 meg of L3 with the additional benefit of the memory controller being bumped from stock 2000MHz to 2500MHz. For each 10% the IMC/NB speed is increased, bandwidth is increased 3-4% and latency is reduced 3-4%. You will roll nicely through most games at these settings.

The 80w PhIIs are marvels in that most will take a serious under-volt and function at stock clocks. Many, like yours, will unlock. I have an unlocked 550BE that runs 1.18v at load ...

On the handful of games that benefit from quads, there yah go. Otherwise, a dual-core at 15x250MHz will feel quite snappy.

Start at 14x250MHz (not unlocked) and monitor your temps. Work your way up from there. Your cooling becomes more critical the higher you work the volts. You might catch a sweet spot at a low manual vcore and be able to work from there.

With good cooling 16x250MHz is not out of the question -- it might take a few dozen attempts to get there :pt1cable: 

a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
December 8, 2010 12:58:53 PM

bigcuz502 said:
Sorry mate. Case isn't wide enough. Don't think it's going to fit at all.

The 212+ will fit in a standard midtower if your case is smaller get the TX3 (Its overpriced on newegg so look elsewhere) otherwise stick to your original cores.
!