Sign in with
Your question

SSD Issues

Last response: in Storage
October 26, 2010 5:21:34 PM

I just purchased my first SSD for a new pc and installed windows 7 64 but forgot to set the bios to AHCI, so I set the bios to AHCI and went to reinstall windows but the drive disappeared and no longer seems to be detected.

Im not sure what has gone wrong, if its the drive or something I did, when I extract the drive and plug it into an external enclosure my other computers will not detect it either now, or they do and start to clock while "installing drivers".

I would appreciate any tips to resolve the situation, the Mobo is an Asus P6X58D and the drive is G.SKILL Phoenix Pro Series FM-25S2S-60GBP2. Thanks.

More about : ssd issues

a c 353 G Storage
October 26, 2010 5:39:58 PM

(1) When doing the re-install of windows do a custom install and wipe (delete) all partitions first. If you can not see the drive/partitions then you may have to put your bios into the same config as when you first installed. If this is the case when you have deleted the partitions - REMOVE Win 7 DVD and power off. Power on, enter BIOS, reset to AHCI.

Bonus tip. Pheonix Pro's performance is decreased with uSoft default AHCI Driver!!! You have the ICH10 southbridge and a Pheonix pro SSD. Use the latest Intel RST drivers. This means you need to download the F6 drivers and put on thumb drive. Set Your Bios to AHCI and do a custom Install Look for "load drivers" (On Page to create/delete partions). Insert thumb drive and broose to F6 drivers. the AHCI should appear as available, select it. When installation is done, install the main driver File.
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=...(Intel%c2%ae+RST)

Added: If using a UPgrade Win7 disk, there are two hoops you have to jump thru so (1) do not enter Key (2)Un check activate as soon as connection to internet. If this is the case Let us know and iether I, or someone will provide the added steps.
m
l
October 26, 2010 5:58:35 PM

I will give that a try, I have a full version of Windows 7 and not the upgrade.

So you think that those steps will help the new pc to detect the drive even though my main destop will not detect the drive as an external?
m
l
Related resources
a c 353 G Storage
October 26, 2010 6:01:48 PM

Reinstall the SSD into your desktop, disconnect all other HDDs untill you have installed windows 7 on your SSD.
m
l
October 27, 2010 12:24:46 AM

So I tried your suggestions with no luck. My difficulty is that I still cannot get the drive detected, I have tried the original settings used to install windows without AHCI mode on and I have tried it with AHCI on and even when loading the Intel RST drivers no drive is detected (the hard drive is unplugged as you suggested).

The drive worked when I plugged it in for the first time last night, the motherboard found it without my having to change or do anything, it seems like the moment I messed with AHCI settings the drive burned out. To top things off the motherboard has also been posting very slowly, though I am hoping that is only because it is trying to detect a hard drive.

Any other suggestions you might have would me much appreciated.

Edit: Not sure if this is relevant but I did update the BIOS to the latest version as well.
m
l
a b G Storage
October 27, 2010 1:49:31 AM

Quote:
To top things off the motherboard has also been posting very slowly, though I am hoping that is only because it is trying to detect a hard drive.

This is a by product of AHCI. On most boards it will increase the load times as the BIOS has to load up the AHCI modules, detect HDD,etc.

Cleat your CMOS. That will get you back to stock/default settings. Then see if the BIOS still detects the HDD.

edit:
Also, when you enable AHCI on some boards, there is a seperate section where the drives get detected. It will no longer show up on the screen with all the IDE (mode, not type here) based drivers.
m
l
October 27, 2010 1:53:44 AM

RetiredChief said:
Reinstall the SSD into your desktop, disconnect all other HDDs untill you have installed windows 7 on your SSD.

+1 to retired chief
I recently purchased a 64g ssd sataIII for my 890 amd board.
Right off the bat, I did a cold install with my other hdd's disconnected.
After a successful boot, I shut down and re-connected my "old" hdd's.
F12 boot request, file transfers, bios boot priorty...
Time well spent. All works like a charm. AND until I fully reformat my hdd, I have a "dual boot/ dual boot system with all files intact.
My only issue is the time it takes to partition my 64 gb ssd to an optimal performance level (seems like a worthy task).
m
l
October 27, 2010 2:17:53 AM

Sorry Justin544, I replied to Chief before I responded to you.
Try booting with a bare SSD and confirm that W7 recognizes it. Then boot a bare ssd (with your other hdd's unplugged) off of your win 7 cd (f12 boot menu, cd drive) Load win7 on ssd. Re-connect your "old" ssd. F12 boot menu to new ssd, open "my computer" twice, once with each (ssd and hdd) size windows and click and drag for file transfers.
If you are requested to log in as an administrator, do it. If you are not sure how to "google it''. (how do i log on as a win7 admin.)
I wish to publicly thank Retiredchief for the time and knowledge that he has been sharing with all of us at Tom's.
m
l
October 27, 2010 2:34:54 AM

Quote:
This is a by product of AHCI. On most boards it will increase the load times as the BIOS has to load up the AHCI modules, detect HDD,etc.

Cleat your CMOS. That will get you back to stock/default settings. Then see if the BIOS still detects the HDD.

edit:
Also, when you enable AHCI on some boards, there is a seperate section where the drives get detected. It will no longer show up on the screen with all the IDE (mode, not type here) based drivers.

Good to know about the AHCI, I always thought that speed would increased in all aspects.

Unfortunately its not just the motherboard that doesn't seem to detect the drive, in the windows setup there are no drives detected either, even with the Intel RST drivers installed. Plus I have tried not using AHCI with the same results.
m
l
October 27, 2010 2:43:52 AM

justin544 said:
Quote:

edit:

Good to know about the AHCI, I always thought that speed would increased in all aspects.

Unfortunately its not just the motherboard that doesn't seem to detect the drive, in the windows setup there are no drives detected either, even with the Intel RST drivers installed. Plus I have tried not using AHCI with the same results.

Justin544, what are your system specs?
Win7 should pick up an SSD.
m
l
October 27, 2010 4:00:26 AM

jockey said:
Justin544, what are your system specs?
Win7 should pick up an SSD.

Windows 7 did pick up the drive at first, it was after I messed with AHCI settings that my trouble started. My build is as follows:

CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W Power Supply

G.SKILL Phoenix Pro Series FM-25S2S-60GBP2 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive

CORSAIR XMS3 12GB (6 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory

ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601950

LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer Black SATA Model iHAS424-98

Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS 2TB SATA 3.0

COOLER MASTER Intel Core i7 compatible Hyper N 520 RR-920-N520-GP 92mm Sleeve CPU Cooler

ASUS EAH5850 DIRECTCU/2DIS/1GD5 Radeon HD 5850

COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
m
l
a b G Storage
October 27, 2010 4:27:02 AM

^ Can you clear CMOS and see if you can see the SSD?
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
October 27, 2010 12:51:56 PM

(1) Have you posted this in the GSKILL forum??
(2) Almost hate to suggest this, But have you thought about running HDDErase form a bootable CD. I would prefer an alternative program that does the same thing. HDDerease does not return a progress status which means it is hard to tell if it is working or locked up, Not sure, but would think that the HDD activity lite should flash. A second question would be How long should it take to complete sinse no progress status is reported.
m
l
October 27, 2010 3:01:56 PM

Shadow703793 said:
^ Can you clear CMOS and see if you can see the SSD?

I cleared CMOS this morning and the SSD was there when I booted, I used the Intel RST driver and Windows installed just fine, though strangely enough I am getting a message that says "no hard disks found" at post but it is there for only a second and everything boots normally.

I really appreciate everyones advice, I was about ready to RMA the drive, thank you.

Are there any other steps I can take to optimize the SSD to run as quickly/efficiently as possible?
m
l
October 27, 2010 7:43:02 PM

Another problem has surfaced, the computer has been restarted several times during Windows Updates and drivers installs etc. All of a suden it refuses to boot into windows and I am getting the message "Reboot and Select proper Boot Device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key ".

The only changes made in the BIOS to this point is to change the storage mode and Marvell to AHCI, Any suggestions?
m
l
a b G Storage
October 27, 2010 10:15:46 PM

^ Make sure your boot order is correct. Also, you CAN'T turn on AHCI in the BIOS unless you edit the registry in Windows before changing the BIOS. Otherwise Windows will crash.

I'm assuming you installed using the native IDE method instead of AHCI when installing Windows.
m
l
October 28, 2010 12:10:02 AM

Shadow703793 said:
^ Make sure your boot order is correct. Also, you CAN'T turn on AHCI in the BIOS unless you edit the registry in Windows before changing the BIOS. Otherwise Windows will crash.

I'm assuming you installed using the native IDE method instead of AHCI when installing Windows.

The boot order appears to be correct but the drive isnt being detected again so im not quite sure. When I installed Windows I turned Storage Config and the Marvell 9123 to AHCI, everything was working fine for a few hours but then all of a sudden something is wrong, windows was running one moment but when I next looked the pc was telling me insert boot media. I just moved the drive so it is plugged into SATA 6G 1 slot and it was detected but when the windows loading screen comes up it freezes. Then I started the pc again and the drive has gone back to not being detected. Should I have had the Marvell 9123 disabled or was I correct in setting it to AHCI? BIOS also seems to be slowing again like it did yesterday (it was not overly slow after I had everything working again this morning).
m
l
!