Life expectancy of i5 overclock CPU

bored0911

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
I built a system. but not overclock yet.

qq about overclocking;

what is the life expectancy of a CPU if I overclock it in GENERAL???
what factors affect the life expectancy of CPU ???

for specific,

I have i5 - 750 2.6GHz CPU with ASUS Sabertooth 55i, hyper 212 plus cooler and 4 Gig G.Skill Ripjaws RAM.

I am not a hard core Gamer but do burn DVD and some graphics with Pro Engineer and Solidworks.

what if I overclock my i5 to 3.4 to 3.6 GHz.
what will be the life expectancy of a CPU ???

d1rtyju1c3

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
As long as you have a good case with good airflow, and the Hyper212+, then a mild OC to 3.4-3.6ghz will last a very long time.

The big factors that affect life expectancy are voltage and Temperature.
3.4ghz on the i5 750 can easily be done on stock voltage (or below stock) so the temps should only increase 1-2c if any at all.
That is just an example, but OCing is very safe as long as you read up on some articles and understand what each setting in your bios is for.

Here is a personal example I bought an old E6300 Back when the C2D first came out in 2006 it stock Frequency was 1.86ghz and 1.35v v-core. I Used and abused that CPU for 3 years. I had it OCed to 3.4ghz and 1.48v vcore, and is still running strong in my uncles desktop.

The #1 enemy of CPUs and other electronics, is heat. Monitor the temps carefully. Ensure that the CPU/heatsink is well mated using thermal compound per correct procedure.

Pro-E and other CAD programs are CPU and RAM intensive. So is Photoshop.

After reading the guides at this site, proceed with OC in gradual steps, paying close attention to the temps. During OC, do not exceed the manufacturers' recommendations on voltage maximums.

Even if you don't OC, if your CPU installation is poor, temps will rise and thereby affect the life of the CPU. Polishing the base of the heatsink will lower the temps substantially (5 to 8 degrees C).

Good luck!

The whole handlapping/polishing thing got started 4 or 5 years ago when some of the heatsink bases suffered from, well, inadequate finishing work. That problem has largely been solved.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
My work computer is running an E8500 at 3.8GHz. It has run this way 24/7 for two years with no problems. With speedstep enabled it drops to 2.6GHz or so most of the time. At idle coretemp shows 40C but at full load it only goes up to 45C or so.

Nice clock speed and temps! You are doing things right!