Sign in with
Your question

BEST UPGRADE OPTION OR NOT AT ALL?

Last response: in CPUs
July 3, 2009 6:49:07 PM

Hello my learned cyber friends,
I have recently come into some spondulicks (£200/~$300ish) which of course I would like to spend on my love machine. The trouble is, I'm thinking there isn't anything that is going to improve my system much more without going to an i7 setup which is beyond the wallet for the time being.

My question is...to upgrade or not? Where do you see in my system that an improvement could be had?

Q6600 @3.4GHz
Zalman 9770 cooler (possible upgrade as I don't rate this cooler but it does suffice)
8mb Corsair XMS 2 RAM
Gigabyte EP45-DQ6 mobo
2 X 4770's
CoolerMaster Cosmos case
750W Jeantech PSU (I know this is weak but when I get a new system, I will upgrade, again, it suffices for now)

Ok so there are 2 thing that I see that I could upgrade, my cooler and PSU. A cooler would not perhaps be transferable to a 1366 socket but a PSU is always a good investment, but I think I would prefer to upgrade that when I get a new system.

What do YOU think gentlemen??

Your replies, as always, are very welcome :D 
AC

More about : upgrade option

a b à CPUs
July 3, 2009 7:11:22 PM

Splash out on some new threads 200 quid is not enough to improve that rig:) 
Or you could get a nice, powerful PSU and drop it in, keeping the Jeantech as reserve, that way when the new i7 is in the works you can swap PSUs and flog the current box as a going concern.
July 3, 2009 7:13:05 PM

a Q9550 and a Titan fenrir, should be about £200 and will get you to 4Ghz while the cooler is transferrable to 1366 mobo's.
Related resources
July 3, 2009 7:25:32 PM

Cheers for your replies

@Coozie- You have clearly seen my dress sense! I hear what you are saying (re PSU) and I am thinking that might be my best option, it's just not an exciting upgrade if you see what I mean. Even more so given that I have no real reason to upgrade it other than it's poor reputation.

@helloworld- would an extra 600MHz be worth it though?? Yes I could use the cooler again, but I would be using the lion's share on that CPU and I'm not sure I can justify spending all of that for 600MHz on a dead socket.

Thanks again for your replies guys, keep em coming (although less about my dubious sartorial sense :whistle:  )
AC
July 3, 2009 7:30:36 PM

A nice new HD? You don't list what you have. Or what about liquid cooling, £200 will get you a nice swiftech kit. I wouldn't bother with a cpu or gpu upgrade, as the q6600 is still a very capable chip, and twin 4770's will tide you over until the next-gen gpu's are released.

And then there is the psu upgrade, not exciting i know, but worthwhile.
July 3, 2009 7:37:45 PM

@emmyhh- I was just looking at watercooling on overclockers! Hmmm, could overclock my Q6600 to 3.6GHz AND use it for later rigs...I like it. Good idea, aswell as the HDD option.

@Jaydeejohn- Great idea, I hadn't thought of that. I have 2 HDD's neither of which are very fast (2 x Hitachi drives, 750 and 250Gb). Off the top of my head, isn't there some concern about SSD memory degrading after a time? If that is or ever was true, has it been ironed out yet?

Thanks for the ideas folks, these are sexy upgrades and I'm up for sexy upgrades alright! Although, I could be sexier for my wife if I bought new clothes....Pah! That's what marriage is for!
AC :D 
July 3, 2009 7:45:01 PM

ac3144 said:

Thanks for the ideas folks, these are sexy upgrades and I'm up for sexy upgrades alright! Although, I could be sexier for my wife if I bought new clothes....Pah! That's what marriage is for!
AC :D 

Ha! If you do decide to watercool your pc have a look at watercoolinguk, its cheaper than overclockers, and stocks better quality parts so you can assemble your own loop. I used to have a q6600 watercooled, and it ran at 3.6Ghz 24/7 with average idle temps of 28-30 degrees and load temps never exceeded 50 (even under prime95). Also it'll look really cool through the side panel of your cosmos, especially with some uv lights and anti-kink cable. Your newfound pc-awe should quell any sporadic sexual advances from your wife until you find enough spare cash for the next upgrade.
July 3, 2009 7:52:04 PM

If You sell your Q6600, m/b, RAM for £200+ £300 You already have You can get i7 920+m/b +6GB DDR3. Else it is not worth doing anything besides PSU which You can carry over to Your next built. If Q6600 is already @3.4 I would not bother getting another hsf unless noise from the one you have is driving mad.

Another option is to get 2 ssd's in RAID 0 for faster boot and load times. But they are developing so fast and increasing in capacities and speed and dropping in price that I am still holding back for now and I suggest You do the same unless You have a rush to spend.

On another thought I would wait for i5 to roll out before upgrading also by the end of year we should see m/b's with USB3.
July 3, 2009 7:54:48 PM

emyyhh said:
Ha! If you do decide to watercool your pc have a look at watercoolinguk, its cheaper than overclockers, and stocks better quality parts so you can assemble your own loop. I used to have a q6600 watercooled, and it ran at 3.6Ghz 24/7 with average idle temps of 28-30 degrees and load temps never exceeded 50 (even under prime95). Also it'll look really cool through the side panel of your cosmos, especially with some uv lights and anti-kink cable. Your newfound pc-awe should quell any sporadic sexual advances from your wife until you find enough spare cash for the next upgrade.

LOL 'Sporadic' Have you and Coozie been spying on me?!! How do you know so much about me??!! (I love you lady your highness, just in case you read this)

Cheers for the website info and I like the look of those temps, mine runs about 65ish on Prime so that would definitely be an improvement. The only thing (which isn't a real thing, I'm just being lazy) with watercooling is that it looks quite involved to get the gubbins together and set it up. But I would then be elevated to the ranks of uber nerd which appeals to my inner...well....nerd.

What sort of effort did you have to put in? Bear in mind I am a busy (no really) medical student with 3 children and generally anything that takes up my time invokes the wrath of the household Queen (see above if you have read this far dear)

Thanks folks, I'm enjoying my Friday night so far!
AC
July 3, 2009 7:59:40 PM

@ainarssems- Thanks for your reply. Do you really need 2 SSD's to get good load times? Is it worth having just one? Good idea re selling, but my eldest son would weep for days maybe even weeks if he didn't inherit my system and I would be forced to move house due to the noise.

So, 2 X SSD's or none at all? What do you reckon?

Thanks
AC
July 3, 2009 8:20:47 PM

One would be improvement as well. I am on RAID 0 with hdd's now so I would like to use RAID 0 on SSD's as well with 2- 4 SSD's. At one point I almost ordered 4 OCZ 30GB SSD's from USA but opted out in last minute seeing how capacities and speed go up and bugs being sorted and prices go down. So I am still waiting.

If it is any help I also have Q6600 @3.2(it also goes up to 3.6 but I do not really have the need for now) with single 8800 GTS 512 MB, 6GB RAM. I see my Q6600 and m/b serving me for another 2-3 years, 6GB ram is enough for me the moment, I would like to upgrade my GPU but holding out until DX11 cards come out. And I really want 4x SSD Raid 0 but waiting for performance /price to at right level.
And I would not upgrade m/b until USB 3 and SATA 3 rolls out
July 3, 2009 8:27:11 PM

Been looking at this one...

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Home/Product/39128/OCZ-30G...

and this one...

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD...

Considerable difference in quoted speeds, would it be that noticeable and a worthy trade off perhaps for the larger storage with the Samsung?

The SSD idea is looking like a good option, but I may just go with one and save the rest for now, if the panel thinks it a good option to have a single SSD (rather than minimum of 2)

What say you guys?
AC
July 3, 2009 8:41:06 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
Single SSD

Which one out of the 2 above Jaydee??

Thanks for your reply.
AC
July 3, 2009 9:02:02 PM

I prefer the Samsung, good controllers
July 3, 2009 9:04:16 PM

@ainarssems- Thanks for that. I know what you mean about the size, but like you say, the times change quickly and I don't want to lash out on an expensive drive only to have it fall hugely in price. I could just dip my toe into the SSD waters with this one without too much outlay and then get a bigger and better one (or two) when I upgrade in a year or two.

Thanks for that link, it's a good bit cheaper than the same one on Overclockers.

So...it looks like an SSD..any more upgrade ideas before bidding closes???

AC
July 3, 2009 9:05:57 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
I prefer the Samsung, good controllers

@JaydeeJohn- Which would mean what exactly? Sorry to be a dunce.
AC
July 3, 2009 9:08:01 PM

I was going to get 4 of them in RAID 0 for total of 120 GB and crazy speed for around £60 a piece but that would still make total £240 which seemed a bit expensive so I opted out.
July 3, 2009 9:15:45 PM

I mostly shopped at dabs.com (also uk site) until recently scan.co.uk became cheaper only thing is that postage price at scan seems to be fixed @£6.99 and variable at dabs starting @£3.42 Also You could check ariapc and novatech, don't remember if they are co.uk or com, just use search engine to find them
July 3, 2009 9:26:01 PM

Some jmicron controllers are bad, which include a few brands. Samsungs have been solid. It all depends.
July 3, 2009 9:28:35 PM

they are not too bad if you got lot of cache
July 3, 2009 9:34:05 PM

I meant what do the controllers do? Again, sorry to be a dunce..
AC
July 3, 2009 9:40:16 PM

wel. they organize how thw data is being written and read from storage. Jmicron controllers are currently faaling behing with bad performansce when lot of small file are bieng writte while samsung and indilinx controllers are coming on top. also cache memory helps a lot. so there is a lot of difference between drive with 16 kB cache or the one with 32/64MB or 128 MB cache. And yes that is not typing mistake some drives have as little as 16kB cache and others 128MB. I would sugget at least 32 MB cache
July 3, 2009 9:41:32 PM

excuse my spellig mistakes. english is not my native and this is not the first beer tonight
a c 267 à CPUs
July 3, 2009 9:46:50 PM

What kind of monitor/s do you have? What resolution are you gaming at?

I think the best upgrade is to get a second really good monitor.

Your system is already very capable. Cpu upgrades will leave you disappointed. @3.4 you can drive any single vga card out there well.

VGA upgrades now will be very expensive. By the end of the year, you might wish you had waited.

Same with SSD's. The only problem free mlc ssd today seems to be Intel. There is talk of a launch of new product in two weeks, so at least wait until then. By the end of the year, I expect much in the ssd arena.

If you already have a good monitor 24" at least, then get a second one. I find the second monitor to be extremely useful.
July 4, 2009 2:53:09 PM

@ainarssems- thanks for that clarification, I had no idea what they were :ange: 

@geofelt- good option, thanks, but I don't have room for another, much as I'd like one! I have a Samsung 2232BW, which is pretty good tbh, I could be tempted by a 1900x1200 monitor but I'd be lucky to get a decent one of those for under £200???

Cheers for your replies guys, any more??
AC
!