Sign in with
Your question

Help! - PC to TV

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 21, 2009 1:42:25 PM

Hi guys. I'm in need of help.

Just built a PC with the GTX260 graphics card which supports HD. I've connected the PC to my Onkyo amp which my TV is obviously connected to.

I'm trying to listen to music that is on my PC through my surround sound and watch my movies from my computer but through my TV.

So far I've connected the two via HDMI but I'm getting nothing.

I've just spent a great deal of money on my PC to watch my HD movies and listen to music. I'm so frustrated. I thought it was going to be so simple.

Can anyone please help?

Thanks guys.

(Hope this is the right forum)

More about : question

April 21, 2009 4:47:21 PM

I have been wanting to do the same thing now for some time just havent gotten around to getting a receiver/speaker setup yet so for now have the pc hooked up to tv with some nice bose desktop speakers...but what your doing is def. the way to go...

Now are you not getting ANYTHING? no pic no sound...need more specifics...seems like you are getting pic but no sound....?
a b U Graphics card
April 21, 2009 8:07:37 PM

So...you are routing sound to the receiver, and want the video, playing on the PC, to be outputed to your TV?

Sound should be simple enough, just plug your output from your PC to the receiver; for the video, instead of plugging in your GFX card to your moniter, plug in to the TV (HDMI or DVI should be fine). Make sure that the PC is set to a resolution a TV can output to. Most GFX cards have modes dedicated to TV out you can use.
Related resources
April 21, 2009 10:13:10 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I'll explain what's happening.

I originally connected the PC to the TV via HDMI wihtout the monitor connected and did see my desktop on the TV, but it was a funny colour.

I then tried connecting PC to amp via HDMI, chose the right channel on the amp but didn't get any sound as I was trying to listen to music.

I've also tried connecting to the TV directly via HDMI, going into my display settings and extending the desktop to the second monitor, but nothing happened. I did open the NVIDIA control panel and it is recognising my Sharp TV but nothing obvious in there to fix the issue. I did have the resolution for the second monitor set as 1920 by 1080 (I think that's what it was).

Any other ideas guys?
April 21, 2009 11:07:07 PM

The problem is that you're trying to use your receiver to do two things at once and it won't be able to do it. The receiver might not be equipped or made to handle two devices at once. I personally plugged my HDMI straight fromt he GTX280 to the TV and I have no problems. AT first the colours were off, a LOT. But I played with the settings of the TV, made sure the resolution was set to "dot per dot" (might be the same I have a Sharp Aquos too), and then I had to remove a bit of red and play with the brightness in order to get the top notch images from my Blu-Ray drive. This would be the best set up in your case.

I might also recommend getting a very decent soundcard for the sound system and using your computer as the entertainment device like I am presently doing. I have a Auzentech Prelude soundcard, which plugs via SPDIF, best soundcard on the market so far, but Auzen said they were going to release the first HDMI X-Fi soundcard for home theatres in the second quarter of 2009, its worth the wait. WIth an X-Fi chip, you can rip all your music in 320kps MP3s and it will sound just as good as a CD. I am a music afficinado and I currently have the Prelude plugged SPDIF to my Yamaha receiver and I have NO regrets, in fact I have nothing but incredible things to say about it. All my entertainment at the touch of a mouse click. Its unbeatable!
April 21, 2009 11:18:04 PM

Quote:
I originally connected the PC to the TV via HDMI wihtout the monitor connected and did see my desktop on the TV, but it was a funny colour.

Did this have sound?...and as far as the COLOR haha :non:  just kidding man sounds like a gfx issue as i have my pc connected via hmdi to my hdtv (lg) and the picture quality is amazing

Quote:
I then tried connecting PC to amp via HDMI, chose the right channel on the amp but didn't get any sound as I was trying to listen to music.

Now here i am assuming you have picture but just no sound?...might be two things
1) you have to go into sound options and select the audio as going out through hdmi (what os do you have?)
2) you might have to play sound through another cable bc im not sure if nvidia cards have surround sound built into the cards as amd cards do....you woud still be able to do surround sound through the amp assuming it and your pc both have coaxial or optical imputs
a b x TV
a b U Graphics card
April 21, 2009 11:25:55 PM

List down your configuration specifically your mother board and sound card. I can list you different options on how to do it.

I have working setup of what you are trying to do.... PC, HDTV and Receiver for 7.1 audio

I made it work on different video card on my setup (3870, 8800GT, GTX 280)... I also made it work on on-board sound card and Creative XiFI-Titanium.

April 22, 2009 12:06:38 AM

You need to connect the SPDIF cable that came with your GTX260 to the SPDIF on your motherboard and the other end to the GTX260. (Look in your Vid. Card Manual or Download on if you dont have one). Go to Sound>Properties set Video card as default sound device. Your Onkyo is a Pass-thru for the Video.
April 22, 2009 9:50:10 AM

Thanks for all those replies guys. Hopefully one of you can help.

Knotknut, I have indeed connected the SPDIF cable and that didn't work. When I go to my sound properties, it shows that I am using Realtek Digital Output (RCA), if I click properties, I get something about Jack Information - L R Rear Panel RCA Jack. I've looked around and there is no option to change to HDMI.

Leon, you could be my best bet here if you've got a similar set up.

I'm using Vista 64 bit.
CPU - E8400 Dual Core 3.0
Motherboard - Asus P5Q P45 Socket 775 8 Channel Audio (onboard sound which I believe says supports 7.1)
GPU - GTX 260
4GB RAM

Come on, work your magic!

Pweeeeeeeeeeeease :) 
a b U Graphics card
April 22, 2009 11:54:55 AM

Most onboard setups simply don't like outputting sound via HDMI. Optical would work, provided you switch the output to digital output from the control panel. The other issue is that Optical does not have the bandwith to carry a 7.1 signal (technically, 5.1 needs to be carried via DD/DTS, as even uncompressed 5.1 takes up too much bandwith...). Still, there is no reason why an optical connection should not work...

Your best option would be a soundcard that has HDMI output, which limits you to the ASUS HDAV 1.3. This way you could do sound and video via HDMI to the receiver (provided it lets you do this...), and then connect to your TV via whatever connections you are using (probably RCA/HDMI).
April 22, 2009 12:54:04 PM

gamerk316 said:
Most onboard setups simply don't like outputting sound via HDMI. Optical would work, provided you switch the output to digital output from the control panel. The other issue is that Optical does not have the bandwith to carry a 7.1 signal (technically, 5.1 needs to be carried via DD/DTS, as even uncompressed 5.1 takes up too much bandwith...). Still, there is no reason why an optical connection should not work...

Your best option would be a soundcard that has HDMI output, which limits you to the ASUS HDAV 1.3. This way you could do sound and video via HDMI to the receiver (provided it lets you do this...), and then connect to your TV via whatever connections you are using (probably RCA/HDMI).

Oh boy, I've already gone over my budget. I was told elsewhere I wouldn't need a sound card. Are you sure this is the case? And of course like you say, (provided it lets you do this....) it may not even work after I spend the £150 on a sound card. Not sure what to do now......
April 22, 2009 4:15:07 PM

Could return nVidia card and get an AMD card say...a 4850 or 4870? they have the built in 7.1 on board seems simpe enough to me and you would be saving $$$$ by going to one of those cards over the 260.

This has an HDMI port on it already no converter needed as well as 7.1 onboard support and pretty nice card from what hear

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=n82e168...
April 22, 2009 4:43:22 PM

My motherboard does support 7.1 so shouldn't need to do that surely???...
April 22, 2009 5:03:29 PM

yeah you do sorry overlooked that......well just connect your coaxial cable from your mobo to receiver as you did before and it should be working you are probably just not changing the correct setting in vista sound

Try..control panel ->sound -> then in the playback window right click and make sure both "show disabled and disconnected devices" are checked what do you see on there now there should be a spdif or digital output option in there you need to set it as the default device and enable it
a b U Graphics card
April 22, 2009 5:22:20 PM

bctaaka said:
yeah you do sorry overlooked that......well just connect your coaxial cable from your mobo to receiver as you did before and it should be working you are probably just not changing the correct setting in vista sound

Try..control panel ->sound -> then in the playback window right click and make sure both "show disabled and disconnected devices" are checked what do you see on there now there should be a spdif or digital output option in there you need to set it as the default device and enable it

If his mobo has Spdif out, he should be able to output sound via an optical connection. The problem then becomes that optical can only carry 2.0 or compressed 5.1 (DD/DTS), which most motherboards are not cabable of encoding. That being said, I've seen some people get 5.1 over optical from a PC without an issue, so its possible some compression is automatically done. If you have an optical output and want 5.1, the best thing to do is try and see what happens.
April 22, 2009 5:32:21 PM

Right click the Speaker Icon by the clock lower right> Adjust Audio Properties>Audio Tab>Sound Playback Default Device. You are going to find your answer in there.

What Motherboard do you have?
April 22, 2009 7:08:37 PM

Yes!!!!! Got it! I was looking in the BIOS for something else and found an option to change the SPDIF output to HDMI. Excellent. Thanks for all the replies.

I did then notice in the audio settings that it only seemed to be an option for stereo but I didn't test that, will come to that later.

Cheers.
June 15, 2009 7:39:02 PM

>>>
1932012,7,58622 said:
List down your configuration specifically your mother board and sound card. I can list you different options on how to do it.

>>>I have working setup of what you are trying to do.... PC, HDTV and Receiver for 7.1 audio

Great thread here! and good news to me.
I have the 2250 tv card and I have the sound working -- not sure how -- I put both ways of connection wires to the A/V. -- Knowing I should use only one not both.

Now, I am trying to get the TV sourd to 5.1/7.1 working.
I may need set up HDTV correctly for the TV Card ( I have under 100 TV channal only now), then, the question, are you using the digital cable for the PC - A/V connection to get the surround sound?

Update:
the AV is taking the Stereo lines, but is not giving me the 5.1/7.1 out but stereo.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
July 22, 2009 1:51:53 AM

senvae said:
The problem is that you're trying to use your receiver to do two things at once and it won't be able to do it. The receiver might not be equipped or made to handle two devices at once. I personally plugged my HDMI straight fromt he GTX280 to the TV and I have no problems. AT first the colours were off, a LOT. But I played with the settings of the TV, made sure the resolution was set to "dot per dot" (might be the same I have a Sharp Aquos too), and then I had to remove a bit of red and play with the brightness in order to get the top notch images from my Blu-Ray drive. This would be the best set up in your case.

I might also recommend getting a very decent soundcard for the sound system and using your computer as the entertainment device like I am presently doing. I have a Auzentech Prelude soundcard, which plugs via SPDIF, best soundcard on the market so far, but Auzen said they were going to release the first HDMI X-Fi soundcard for home theatres in the second quarter of 2009, its worth the wait. WIth an X-Fi chip, you can rip all your music in 320kps MP3s and it will sound just as good as a CD. I am a music afficinado and I currently have the Prelude plugged SPDIF to my Yamaha receiver and I have NO regrets, in fact I have nothing but incredible things to say about it. All my entertainment at the touch of a mouse click. Its unbeatable!

November 18, 2009 1:01:47 PM

mrjaffa said:
Yes!!!!! Got it! I was looking in the BIOS for something else and found an option to change the SPDIF output to HDMI. Excellent. Thanks for all the replies.

I did then notice in the audio settings that it only seemed to be an option for stereo but I didn't test that, will come to that later.

Cheers.

Hi,

Can you please explain how you did this?

I have a similar problem and I cannot find this option in my BIOS :( 
!