Why does my internet connection with router keep disconnecting

grenod

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
Hi, I have a D-Link router, with 2 laptops and Xbox 360, and I keep loosing the internet connection. I also have problems having a connection with the Xbox. I have cable internet connection. I have to either plug in the modem cable into laptop or sometimes the Windows will repair the connection. Can someone tell me why this happens and how to correct this.

marty75

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2009

Hi
I presum that your laptops and xbox are all wierless? How far away from everything is your router? how often does it loose signal, have you tried ethernet cables direct to laptops? if so does the internet drop out?

grenod

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
Hi,
Thanks for the response. The connexions are all wireless. The router is in the basement, positioned so that nothing is blocking the signal. The Xbox is right beside it, and I cannot connect. I do not lose the connection when I connect with an ethernet wire. I loose the signal about twice a day.

marty75

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2009

Hello

Ok, Why don't you connect the Xbox via ethernet cable?, it may depend on what type of floor & walls your basement has! because that could interfer/block signal, try extening the cable or fitting the router somewhere else. (just to try)
Have the laptops got built in wi-fi or is it via a dongle? if built in i would try a dongle if possible, that will rule out internal laptop errors, I had a philips laptop that was doing the same thing, so i just installed a wi-fi dongle, and it was great after that. (i wouldn't buy one yet though)
The only thing to do is rule out one thing at a time. If you still have problems after moving the router,trying a dongle etc then the problem must be the router itself.

G

i myself have a similar problem.... i also have a d-link router supplied by my cable company... and when i am running my xbox even with offline games etc i find that the internet connection on the wireless will drop. not the network connection.
Which is making it near impossible for my other half to run things and do stuff on the internet when i am playing the xbox and everything is in the one room...

any suggestions to this would be extremely helpfull

Pearson860

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
Mine does the same thing! I frequently have to listen to my parents screaming at me to get off my xbox. Whenever my xbox is running idle, such as at the main menu or when i am in the middle of a campaign, it will reduce the signal of the wireless internet to nearly nothing which will kick off my parents wirless signal to their computers and their laptops. I currently have a Linksys WRT54GL-RM and it is really pissing me off. i am buying a new one but i want to know what to do if the problem persists.