• Heatsinks
  • Cooler Master
  • Celsius
  • Overclocking
  • Product
Last response: in Overclocking
December 7, 2010 3:12:34 AM

Hello everyone,
Recently I got a second fan for push-pull on my Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus. I have an i7-930 OC'ed to 3.5Ghz with 1.13v. This is my first time with push-pull.
Before, my idle temps (for my hottest core) were 37-38 celsius (RealTemp) and now they're 36-37 Celsius. Prime95 used to max at 62 Celsius, but now it's 60 Celsius...

I am feeling a little underwhelmed, should I be getting better temperatures than this, or is this normal for push-pull??? It doesn't seem worth it.....

Can anyone help? Much appreciated :) 

More about : hyper 212 push pull question

a b K Overclocking
December 7, 2010 5:21:42 AM

Hey, I got a Cm hyper 212 + too, well, I bought it and installed another fan right away, but 2 c temps decrease is not excellent but its fine.. @ 3.5 ghz, load is 60, you're good to go..
a b K Overclocking
December 7, 2010 5:52:48 AM

Well I am using a tru, but my temps improved by about 5 C when I put the second fan on. However I think I also changed the orientation at the same time so it may be less...
I wouldn't say the results are unexpected. You've got an excellent cooler and the addition of another fan is showing some benefit. Perhaps it is the type of fan or the fan speed or the CFM's that are having you feeling underwhelmed.
Do you know the particulars of the fan you've added?
Related resources
December 7, 2010 9:44:58 PM

I added a second CM fan to my Hyper 212 and got similar results, about 2-3C drop at full load. It was about what I expected I would get based on reviews. However I did not like the added sound, it created some weird harmonic tone that I do not like so I pulled the second fan back off. Although overall I am pleased with the performance of the 212, I may try my luck with a Thermalright Silver Arrow to see what kind of improvements I can get at 4.0Ghz on my i5.
a b K Overclocking
December 8, 2010 12:31:30 AM

I wasn't impressed and didn't even see the 2-3 C difference. but I have a 120 exhaust right behind the heat sync so the hot air is already being pulled out. I have an open fan slot in front (on top) of the sync so I will see if bringing in cool air will change anything (it will).
December 8, 2010 3:45:58 AM

THANK YOU so much guys!!!
This really helped!
I now have a reason to not waste my time taking the push-pull off and moving it somewhere else (where it's not needed).
btw, the fan specifics are (I think):
Stock Cooler Master Fan: 22-77 CFM
Antec Fan: 26-79 CFM (might be off a bit).
:) 
a b K Overclocking
January 13, 2011 7:33:25 PM

yeah hat sounds better/ The tricools are good for case cooling, and I did use one for a HSF once but ultimately went with a fan with a higher CFM rating.
May 21, 2011 9:50:20 PM

mkchampion14 said:
Yes it is....it's a PWM 4-pin cable and I got a PWM splitter cable that can have 2 PWM fans on one mobo 4-pin PWM fan header:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
So two of the same fans running push-pull and synchronized PWM

Hey mkchampion1,

I'm considering doing the same thing and was wondering how happy you've been with your setup (in particular, the GELID Solutions 350 mm PWM Y Cable)? Thanks.
June 27, 2011 1:05:29 AM

It's been working really well...the cable is kinds long though but that's not really a problem with me :D 
It synchronizes fan speeds pretty much exactly too...
July 3, 2011 12:49:10 PM

if you decided to install a push/pull configuration on the hyper 212+ where do you put the fan headers? Can you plug them both directly to the mobo fan headers? or is it better to connect it to the PSU or a fan controller?
July 3, 2011 6:06:10 PM

I used a pwm y-splitter where both the 4-pin pwm fan wires plugged into one side and the other side went into the 4-pin mobo header (just one connection)
a c 249 K Overclocking
July 3, 2011 7:49:48 PM

@ Mkchampion14

I got the same results as you.
!