Need Cooling advice for a stable 4GHZ OC on a 1055T

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

hey gang,
I need some advice here. I am running a Ga-890GPA-UD3H and a 1055T and I am able to hit 4 GHz with my current cooling solution but I was thinking I could do better temp wise. I have a Corsair H50 with a single antec tri-cool 120MM at high (79CFM) and just about every other fan in my case on high and I managed a stable OC, but I think I may have hit a wall here. I am using a P193 Antec case (yeah, it's "big ugly") and since I have that 200 MM "Big Boy" fan on the side panel I am limited to 140 CM tall heat sinks and below. This is kind of a pain since I use my H50 and with that fan on, I just can't get a second 120MM fan on it to run push/pull and hopefully reduce my temps a little more.

As it stands I have 2 120MM Tri-cools in the front of the case, the stock 2 140MM top exhaust fans, the 120MM rear (flipped so I can use it as a intake fan) and the 200MM big boy. Running Intel Burn In Test on Maximum for 100 runs, I had a max CPU temp of 55 C (core temp never exceeded 47C) and I know the limit of these chips is 62C CPU temp. So I am cutting it close.

Would I be better off swapping this case for my space Haf 922M? I have a couple of extra 120MM fans on the top of the HAF, moved the 200 (or is it 230 MM) fan that WAS on top to the side panel, and have the stock red 200 MM I have a couple of spare 120MM tri-cools and I was thinking I might migrate over to this case if it could get this overclock to a maximum temp of 50 C. If I am barking up the wrong tree, I guess I'll just forgo over clocking to 4 GHz and aim a little lower.
Thanks for any suggestions!

Solution
Mount the radiator directly to the case on the inside . Put one fan outside the case as exhaust.Place a fan guard on it for safety. Mount second fan on inside of case as exhaust. This gives the 2 fan "Push-Pull"setup on the radiator without taking up extra space inside the case.

adrimagnon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
Hi Greeneman510,

Wow! Actually, from your description is sounds like airflow is not the problem. To test, I'd pull the side off the case and point a fan at it and run some temps. If it gets noticeably cooler than I would consider airflow into the case the problem.

I am not familiar with the current case but is the "120MM rear (flipped so I can use it as a intake fan)" above or below the power supply? If it is above then I would think that since warm air rises the the power supply exhausts hot air that the fan then returns the warm air inside the case.

Also, you want to drop temps 10% (from 55C to 50C) and I almost wonder if at that point you'll need water cooling. However, if your video card isn't overclocked or hot then I might add some cheap ducting to direct the cooler inlet air to the cpu cooler if not just one of the 120mm fans. This air, being ducted, will not be warmed up by the other PC components and so should stay a bit cooler.

Let us know if and what works! This sounds interesting since you pushed it so close to the edge. :)

Adrian

Mount the radiator directly to the case on the inside . Put one fan outside the case as exhaust.Place a fan guard on it for safety. Mount second fan on inside of case as exhaust. This gives the 2 fan "Push-Pull"setup on the radiator without taking up extra space inside the case.

Solution
G

I've tried that in the past, pointing a fan at it on high with the side panel off. No effect. If you search for the P193 you'll see it's a sectioned design. The power supply is isolated and independently cooled at the bottom of the case. (I have a 120MM fan on medium cooling it) along with the 140MM fan built into my power supply. And my video card idles at about 28 C (gotta love the GTX 460's!) so it's not blowing much warm air out the back to be recycled into the intake (previously exhaust). But I usually keep a bit of cardboard slightly above the rear exhaust of the GPU just to make sure no warm air is recirculated.

I am thinking I might mod the case, it's only 4 screws and a few washers to mount the big fan outside the case, but I might lose a little efficiency from the fan by moving it like that, but not enough to really worry about. I'll try this once I have the required hardware to do it (about 4 or 5 washers per stud... 4 studs for the assembly so 20 washers. I'll want to use plastic so I don't scratch the case up. And replace the Alan Wrench headed screws they used with Phillips. ) but for now I am back at stock speeds. It seems Linux+Overclocked 6 Core= Not Gonna Boot (a problem with the latest Kernel I am told...)

adrimagnon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
Hi Greeneman510,

"I've tried that in the past, pointing a fan at it on high with the side panel off. No effect."

I guess my question would be then, why do you think you can get it cooler on air?

Maybe it you had a peltier cooling the air coming in but it sounds like the volume of air isn't the issue. Had you said that it does drop in temperature I would agree that adding more case fans (which equals more air flow) is likely going to help. Since the big fan didn't I would assume that it isn't the issue and it is likely temperature of the air.

How do you feel about trying to cool the air instead of increasing its flow inside your case?

Adrian

G

I think you missed the point. I was saying I needed to know if I would be better off swapping cases to run a push/pull for my H50 or try to mod my 193. I ended up taking off the side 200 MM fan and sealing the hole (I used a few sheets of paper and clear packing tape to seal it temporarily.) and installing a second Antec 120MM tri-cool. Put both 120MM intake fans (there are 2 now, pusher and puller) on high and ran about 20 runs of Burn In Test. I managed a high of 52 C on Maximum, so I am confident with these temps. For the record I slowed both fans down to their lowest setting and dropped down to 3.5 GHz and was only hitting about 43 C on the CPU temp. Not bad, and still quiet. Maybe later I'll re-install the 200 MM fan, but for now, this works and is fast enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.