Using the ASRock EZ Overclocking feature

zanthal

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
I have the ASRock 770 Extreme3 motherboard (see below for full system specs) and I'm about to go about overclocking.

Let it be known that I tried to unlock the 4th core, and it's defective.

The motherboard's manual is about as descriptive as the BIOS is about exactly what the EZ Overclocking feature does. I'm concerned to find out before trying.

Does the EZ OC feature do all of the adjustments that necessary? CPU frequency, RAM frequency and HT link frequency? voltage?

I had imagined using the EZ OC feature 5% at a time, and stress testing at each increment until reaching an instable point.

Is it that ... EZ? Or is there more to it?

My new PC =

Processor: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Rana 3.2GHz Socket AM3 |
Motherboard: ASRock 770 EXTREME3 AM3 AMD SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX |
Cooling: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus |
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4x2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1600 |
Video: ASUS GeForce GTX 460 768MB 192-bit GDDR5 |
Case: Rosewill DESTROYER ATX Mid Tower |
Power: Antec TruePower 650W ATX12V V2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Cert |
Storage: SAMSUNG 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" HD |
Optical drive: Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model

Solution
Enter the *OC Tweaker* menu
AsRock-770-OCTweaker.jpg

Change *Overclock Mode* from 'Auto' to 'Optimized'
Set *CPU Frequency* to 240MHz and PCIe to 100MHz
Set *Multiplier/Voltage Change* to 'Manual'
Set the *CPU Frequency Multiplier* to 15x
Set the *CPU Voltage* to 1.375v
Set the *NB Frequency Multiplier* to 10x
Set the *NB Voltage* to 1.1875
Set the *HT Bus Speed* to 8x
Set the*Memory Clock* to [667MHz DDR3_1333]
F10 - Save & Exit

Specs: Voltages_0.85-1.4v__Max Temps-75c

Should be quite cool & snappy at 15x240MHz and 1.375v'ish (maybe even lower). Your RAMs will be running spec 1600MHz (6.667x240) and the IMC/NB at 2400MHz.

15.5x240 at 1.375-1.4v...

Andon48

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
On my Asrock P55 it adjusts everything automatically, just take a look at it and make sure it isn't trying to do something crazy. It has options for a 10-50% performance increase and it is pretty close to where I'd set it for 40%. I'd say give it a shot.

zanthal

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
So I got an auto e-mail from Tom's Hardware asking if I got my problem solved ... and thanks anyhow Andom48 but that didn't really give me the info I need, because I'm brand new to overclocking and even less familiar with exactly how the Asrock EZ Overclocking Utility works

I tried using it, and couldn't get the system to post on the lowest EZ OC setting. I don't know if it's because I was missing something, or what.

I can't find any real help with Asrock, or anywhere else online, so, I'm still stuck with it.

My real question I want answered, is does the EZ Overclocking utility handle ALL of the changes needed to OC, or only most of them?

I have very good cooling, and low temperatures, I don't understand why trying to OC from 3.2ghz to 3.36ghz would fail to work immediately.

fobnicat

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
First let me say that I am no expert and am quite new to overclocking but it seems to me, based on Andon48's reply and my experience with other easy overclocking software that asrock's ez oc should adjust all the necessary parameters for you. That being said, if your multipliers are not unlocked or your ram timing is not set correctly to begin with, it will only lead to problems when trying to overclock.

It would also seem to me that if you are beginning with a defective core, the likelyhood of stumbling upon more issues is greatly increased. As you should know, not all chips are created equal. Just because other x3 450's can go to 3.8 doesn't mean yours will get past 3.5 with everything else being equal. Good luck to you.

Andon48

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
Yes, it does change all of the necessary parameters, however the values it sets are predetermined by the Asrock programmers according to the processor. Their settings may just not work with your particular processor, every chip overclocks differently.

Enter the *OC Tweaker* menu
AsRock-770-OCTweaker.jpg

Change *Overclock Mode* from 'Auto' to 'Optimized'
Set *CPU Frequency* to 240MHz and PCIe to 100MHz
Set *Multiplier/Voltage Change* to 'Manual'
Set the *CPU Frequency Multiplier* to 15x
Set the *CPU Voltage* to 1.375v
Set the *NB Frequency Multiplier* to 10x
Set the *NB Voltage* to 1.1875
Set the *HT Bus Speed* to 8x
Set the*Memory Clock* to [667MHz DDR3_1333]
F10 - Save & Exit

Specs: Voltages_0.85-1.4v__Max Temps-75c

Should be quite cool & snappy at 15x240MHz and 1.375v'ish (maybe even lower). Your RAMs will be running spec 1600MHz (6.667x240) and the IMC/NB at 2400MHz.

15.5x240 at 1.375-1.4v would not be a surprise. Good luck with 16x !!

Solution

zanthal

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Wisecracker:

Hypothetical situation, I follow those instructions and get a normal, clean startup.

I can then attempt to make only a change of 15 to 15.5 on the CPU Frequency Multiplier and/or raising the CPU Voltage to 1.4 volts, in order to try the next stage up?

I suspect that you don't think 16x has much of a chance.

I just want to be perfectly clear, because this is all pretty much greek to me.

That's pretty much it. There may be a selection or 2 we need to tweak. Not really sure if you run "Optimized' or 'CPU/PCIe Async', but otherwise, that's the ticket.

And I imagine it will do 16x240 but a few things to watch out for:

1) It might take 1.45v, hopefully for your sake a bit less; and/or
2) When you put a load on the build the temps will just keep rising and rising - LOL - and you will have to shut 'er down.

If you have any problems simply remove the battery, let it sit for a minute, reboot, enter the BIOS, *Load Optimized Defaults* then F10-save and reboot. Probably a good idea to reset, anyway, to clear out any remnants of your old OC.

zanthal

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Yeah I got a refresher on how to reset CMOS from jumper settings when I tried this before. I thought I had fried my system permanently. Anyhow, unless this thread closes, I'll post my results. Thanks for the help from everyone :)

lordpelvis

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
Make sure you set memory to manual........auto sets it to 800. I Just bought same motherboard and the 3.3 tricore. I set ez overclocking to 10% and then changed the memory. Got it running at 3.6ghz. I can do 4ghz, but temps start climbing.