Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

problems with video card after xp pro upgrade

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
May 23, 2004 8:46:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Hi all. I'm having this problem and I haven't been able to solve it. Right after I upgraded from xp home edition to professional edition I started having problems with the display. when I run dxdiag no device is detected and thus I have no DirectDraw Acceleration, no Direct3D acceleration, and no AGP Texture Acceleration. The Test Direct3D button is disabled as well. After going through some articles here and doing some investigating I found out that the source of the problem might be the video display driver.
I went to the device manager looking for the Display Drivers but there's nothing there. I noticed a device has an error though. The devices is:
Intel(R) 82865G\PE\P Processor to AGP Controller - 2571
And the device status says: This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use (Code 12)
I tried reinstalling the display driver which was succesfully installed but when I restart the computer I get this error message: ATI Control Pane failed to Initialize. No ATI driver installed or it's not working properly.
I also tried downloading the latest driver but when I try to install it I get an error saying that it failed and that I should try to install it using the Standard VGA driver, but when I go to the display settings there's nothing there either so that I could set it to Standard VGA. I also tried doing this in safe mode but the Install Application couldn't even start.
I have a
HP Pavilion a350y
Pentium 4 with HT
ATI Radeon 9800 Series

Please, if anyone has any idea in how to fix the problem let me know. Know that the last thing I want to do is having to do a clean install and contact the vendor. I hope someone can help me. Thank you all in advance.
Anonymous
May 23, 2004 9:44:45 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

I believe you need to remove the ATI software and then reinstall it. Simply
reinstalling the driver usually won't solve this type of problem. Go to
Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel, look for the ATI software, remove it,
reboot if necessary then reinstall the software which should reinstall the
driver as well.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User
Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

"fofylofy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:1C3F2091-75F7-4471-AC46-0E5DE011CB44@microsoft.com...
> Hi all. I'm having this problem and I haven't been able to solve it.
> Right after I upgraded from xp home edition to professional edition I
> started having problems with the display. when I run dxdiag no device is
> detected and thus I have no DirectDraw Acceleration, no Direct3D
> acceleration, and no AGP Texture Acceleration. The Test Direct3D button
> is disabled as well. After going through some articles here and doing
> some investigating I found out that the source of the problem might be the
> video display driver.
> I went to the device manager looking for the Display Drivers but there's
> nothing there. I noticed a device has an error though. The devices is:
> Intel(R) 82865G\PE\P Processor to AGP Controller - 2571
> And the device status says: This device cannot find enough free resources
> that it can use (Code 12)
> I tried reinstalling the display driver which was succesfully installed
> but when I restart the computer I get this error message: ATI Control
> Pane failed to Initialize. No ATI driver installed or it's not working
> properly.
> I also tried downloading the latest driver but when I try to install it I
> get an error saying that it failed and that I should try to install it
> using the Standard VGA driver, but when I go to the display settings
> there's nothing there either so that I could set it to Standard VGA. I
> also tried doing this in safe mode but the Install Application couldn't
> even start.
> I have a
> HP Pavilion a350y
> Pentium 4 with HT
> ATI Radeon 9800 Series
>
> Please, if anyone has any idea in how to fix the problem let me know.
> Know that the last thing I want to do is having to do a clean install and
> contact the vendor. I hope someone can help me. Thank you all in
> advance.
Anonymous
May 24, 2004 2:31:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Yes, I did uninstall it and then reinstalled it and it still didn't work. I get that error message saying the ATI control panel could not load because it's not installed or malfunctioning.
Thanks for the suggestion anyways.
Related resources
Anonymous
May 24, 2004 3:26:26 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

You might try removing it and reinstalling in Safe Mode. Boot the system,
start tapping F8, when the menu appears, select Safe Mode and press enter.
At Safe Mode, decline the option to use System Restore and then try removing
and reinstalling the software.

If it still fails, it would probably be best for you to contact ATI tech
support.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User
Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

"fofylofy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:CD71A27C-9912-44E0-ABB1-FCF44BAFB3CF@microsoft.com...
> Yes, I did uninstall it and then reinstalled it and it still didn't work.
> I get that error message saying the ATI control panel could not load
> because it's not installed or malfunctioning.
> Thanks for the suggestion anyways.
Anonymous
May 24, 2004 6:11:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

I'm afraid that didn't work either. To make things worst, now when I run the Recovery program and select Devices, it doesn't show the ATI option anymore, ???
Anonymous
May 24, 2004 8:57:57 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

To what recovery program are you referring, is that HP's recovery CD?

A couple of other things to try, first, return to Safe Mode as mentioned
previously but this time accept the option to use System Restore and try
going back to a time before this started.

If that doesn't resolve it, does the HP recovery have the option for a
repair install. If yes, you might try using that or you may have to contact
HP to help resolve this.



--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User
Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

"fofylofy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:E0C0FB00-884C-4FAC-8904-1929D56CA3C2@microsoft.com...
> I'm afraid that didn't work either. To make things worst, now when I run
> the Recovery program and select Devices, it doesn't show the ATI option
> anymore, ???
>
!