Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading Power Supply Unit

Last response: in Components
July 4, 2009 2:04:04 AM

I'm curious to know whether or not my current psu which is 375w is causing the problems I'm having. On every bootup I always have to press F1 in order to complete the bootup sequence. I get this message "Rear Fan Error". The only fan that I have in the rear is the fan in my psu. Could it be that the fan rpms are not correct due to problems in the psu? Every since I upgraded my processor from a Intel E6600 2.4GHz. to a Intel Q6600 2.4GHz. it seem this is when it started. I could be wrong and it may not have any ties to whats going on but my cpu cooling unit fan is currently running on high. My system isn' having any problems with heat. As for my Q6600 processor the core temp are better than average. They idle in the mid 30c range which I heard is darn good. The reason I'm concerned is because my computer use to run very quite not all I heard is the whirling of my cpu fan. Is my cpu fan compensating for defects in the psu. Can someone please help me this? I'm not very good in this particular area. I was thinking of purchasing a new power supply unit upgrading to about 600w but I won't if it isn't necessary. My system is a Dell Xps/410, currently using Windows Vista Home Premium, Intel Q6600 2.4GHz. processor, EVGA 8800GTS 512mb video card, WD 250gig HD, and Creative Audigy audio card. I've also ran a system diagnostic and it said that the fan cage is out of range. What in the world can I do to fix this. I feel that if I don't soon it will develop into a much larger problem.
a c 243 ) Power supply
July 4, 2009 8:46:23 AM

Larkin600 said:
I get this message "Rear Fan Error". The only fan that I have in the rear is the fan in my psu.

The 410 has 2 system fans, the "rear" fan is the lower (92mm) fan, both are located in the front of the machine. If the plug from it came out or it simply wasn't working you would receive that warning.
Is your bios up to date ?
July 5, 2009 12:05:35 AM

Yes, I think so. I know for a fact that the cpu fan is turning but as for the other fan I can't be sure. Yes it is. I just looked through the front of the computer and you can see it turning. So what you're saying is that even though it's turning doesn't mean that it's at the correct rpms and the bearings may be bad?
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
July 5, 2009 1:19:42 AM

You may have a bad fan. You may also have bios settings that would benefit from a few changes. You may have a PWM CPU fan (4 pin) plugged into a 3 pin CPU fan header. Nothing you mentioned indicates a problem with your power supply.
July 5, 2009 2:33:40 AM

My Bios setting is the latest that I download from Dell version 2.5.3. As for as I know this is the latest Bios for my computer unless I can upgrade the bios from another source which I was wondering but wasn't sure about. I tried to check all the plugs for all the fans but I'll check again. You could very well be right. Thank you very much for you'll assistance it was greatly appreciated Newf, zipzoomflyhigh and DellUser1.
a b ) Power supply
July 5, 2009 3:44:29 AM

I suspect that when you upgraded your BIOS that default settings were re-instated. This is normally part of the update instructions. To fix this:
Go into your BIOS setup. You are looking for 2 areas.
1. POST interrupt setting that is keeping you from getting a smooth POST because of a fan error warning. Normally you want to set BIOS to ignore all errors except maybe no keyboard. This way you won't have to hit F1 every time you turn on your system.
2. Fan error warning setting. This is usually in the Power Management section. Turn fan warnings off if you can.
Don't mess with any timings, voltages or speeds unless you KNOW what you are doing. Changing the above items cannot cause any harm.
If in doubt, you can always "exit without saving changes" and start over.
July 5, 2009 4:07:12 AM

In the BIOS setting for the Dell Xps/410 Desktop I have very limited control. In the Power Management area there isn't an option to control the POST interrupt settings that I know of. I'm going to look again to make sure. I know it gives me the option to clear any messages or errors being posted on every bootup session but they just repeat and will repeat until I can fix the "Cage Fan out of Range" error.
!