Twist86

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008
I am curious how strict is Intel on RMA items? If I bought a Intel x25-m via craigslist would I have zero chance to RMA it should it break? I just ask because some companies have each serial on database so long as its within the X years they will accept it.

I have a shot for a 80GB Intel x25-m used for $120 so thought about jumping on it. Which falls to my $1.50 and was curious if the risk is worth the reward? Also there any good programs I can use to see the drives life/hours used etc?

Solution
^ That is a 2nd Gen Intel drive. I can tell you that much. That's what I have on my system.

Anyways, if you need the space, get the 80GB. If you need the speed, get the Vertex 2. You also have to take in to account that the Intel drive is used.

Personally, I'd save the $120 now and wait until the Intel G3 hits the market. You *may/should* be able to get a 80GB G3 Intel for about $150-160.
I have no idea what Intel's RMA policy is - my advice would be to ask the vendor for the original receipt.

Any program that shows the SMART data for a drive (such as "DiskCheckup") will show the power-on time. What's more important is the quantity of writes that have been performed on the drive, that tells you how much wear the drive has sustained. The Intel SSD Toolbox (downloadable from the Intel site) will tell you that.

As a guide to how much writing the drive can tolerate, Intel states that their SSDs should last "at least" 5 years at a write rate of 20GB per day.

Twist86

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008
That is pretty good thanks. Sadly being craigslist the guy I would buy from got it used. Model # is SSDSA2M080G2GC. Not sure when they started making them however. So I am pretty sure it will be a "Trust in the Quaility" boat if I bought it.

Its 80GB for $120 vs 60GB @ $120 so not sure if I should buy a Vertex 2 60GB new or the 80GB Intel x25-m used.

^ That is a 2nd Gen Intel drive. I can tell you that much. That's what I have on my system.

Anyways, if you need the space, get the 80GB. If you need the speed, get the Vertex 2. You also have to take in to account that the Intel drive is used.

Personally, I'd save the $120 now and wait until the Intel G3 hits the market. You *may/should* be able to get a 80GB G3 Intel for about $150-160.

Solution

Twist86

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008
I hate to wait but your right. Unless they have some stupid silly deal on the Vertex 2 60GB drives on BF or CM I think I will wait.

I am curious on load times for example on games what on the SSD effects it? Is it read? I just ask because the C300 is 2 seconds faster then the 120GB Revo drive in a lot of reviews on loading games. Which would be my primary perk of a SSD. Even Intel and Vertex 2 are 3-4 seconds behind the C300. However I was told even in SATAII you get the same load times so just thought id ask what exactly was boosting the loading so much. I can only hope the G3 drives will provide superior load times :)

I am curious on load times for example on games what on the SSD effects it? Is it read? I just ask because the C300 is 2 seconds faster then the 120GB Revo drive in a lot of reviews on loading games. Which would be my primary perk of a SSD. Even Intel and Vertex 2 are 3-4 seconds behind the C300. However I was told even in SATAII you get the same load times so just thought id ask what exactly was boosting the loading so much. I can only hope the G3 drives will provide superior load times
For most things, you won't notice the difference between say the C300 and the X25-M G2. The only case where you will notice the difference is in benchmarks. This doesn't apply if your work load is much different from a typical user on the OS drive.

By the looks of the announced/leaked specs for the G3, it doesn't look like it will compete in pure performance with the SF 2xxx. Intel seems to be aiming the price vs performance and/or price vs GB with the G3 SSDs. The G3 should be at or above the SF 1200 performance level.