Replacing Antec 900 Fans

marshmallow905

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
I am not a big fan of LED lights and I also find the three fans on Antec 900 on low still pretty loud as well, on high it sounds like a freaking vacuum cleaner. Is it possible to replace the top 200mm fan with 120mm as well, I might just leave it since it doesn't have LED doesn't bother me. I also use Zalman CNPS9700 LED anyone know how to turn off the blue LED other than taping it or using a black marker?

Anyone know any good quiet fans without LED lights? Can anyone recommend a fan controller + quiet non LED fans for Antec 900, please? :D

So far my friend recommended this, he says it's quiet but then again I find my fans on low pretty loud..

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?mode=productreviewread&product_id=27129

Thanks in advance,

I have two Antec 900's. Fans on HIGH, I agree with you. In fact I used those exact words. On LOW, my 7 year old workhorse is louder.

You can always cut one LED lead and use a fan controller.

For fans, I happen to like the Scythe S-Flex fans. They are a little pricey (around $16.00 in single quantities), but the fluid bearing helps make them pretty quiet.

The S-Flex fans come in several models depending on rpm, airflow, and noise. They have the standard three pin connector on them so you can plug them into the motherboard, and let the motherboard control them.

I took a little bit of electrical tape and taped over the hole in the fan casing that the LED light shines through. Voila- no more annoying LED glare from my Nine Hundred. The fans are noisy on high, but on low, they're not all that bad. I would suggest Enermax's Enlobal magnetic-bearing fans if you want quieter units. They move about as much air as the Antec Tri-Speeds on low but are almost inaudible. Plus, they last a very long time and are about half the price of the Scythe S-Flex fans that another poster recommended. Noctua's fans are good too, but expect to drop close to $30 each for 120 mm units.

I have not seen any replacements for the 200 mm top fan, and no, I would not recommend rigging up a bracket to fit a 120 mm unit in there. The 200 mm unit moves far more air than a 120 mm unit will for anywhere near the same noise level.

hispeed120

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
I've found that the S-Flex make a weird humming sound when they pass air over hard drive in the front. When there are no obstructions, they are completely silent at more than 1 foot.

marshmallow905

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Thanks, I was thinking of getting the Scythe S-Flex myself as well. Noctua is hella expensive. The reasons I don't want to cut my LED lights on my Antec Tri are I don't want to ruin a perfectly fine LED fan and my friend loves LED lights he might take them to replace the fans in his rig. And I guess I'll stick to the electric tape for my cooler.

Thanks again,

EDIT: I am thinking of a getting this as a fan controller, anyone know if it works well with Antec 900 and do I need 4-3 pin adapter for this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811998063