Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Airflow questions

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
December 7, 2010 5:43:08 PM

Hi all, looking to get someone more knowledgeable than me. I'm looking to optimize my airflow for the best.

Firstly, here is my setup:

Components 'affected':
C2Q 8200, 2.33GHz, OCed to 3.01 Prime stable
4x2gb OCZ Platinum RAM (1333MHz)
Corsair H50 cooler
HIS Radeon 5770 1gb
WD 1tb HDD
Seagate 750gb Secondary HDD

Antec Three Hundred case

Front fans:
2x 120mm Yate Loon D12SH-12, 88cfm intake, 2200RPM = 176cfm total

Back fan:
Corsair H50 stock fan, 120mm, 59cfm intake, 1700RPM fan = 59cfm total

~~~~Total Possible Intake = 235cfm~~~~

Top fan:
1x 140mm Yate Loon D14SM-12, 62cfm exhaust, 1400RPM = 62cfm
Side fan:
1x 120mm Yate Loon D12SH-12, 88cfm exhaust, 2200RPM = 88cfm

~~~~Total Possible Exhaust = 150cfm~~~~

Obviously I'm good for positive pressure. I have another 120mm Yate Loon to put on the Corsair radiator, but since I was so over positive, I never bothered.
Secondly, I got an NZXT Sentry 2 fan controller. I have the 4 Yate Loons hooked to it, with a free hookup for the radiator fan (it's PWM plug, so I need an adapter or change to the Yate Loon before I hook it up.)

Right now the 5 temp sensors are setup: 2 on my 2 HDDs, 1 near the CPU socket, 1 on the backside of my GPU and 1 on the bottom of the radiator. Temps are (in order of aforementioned order): 26, 26, 26, 38, 34. PC Wizard reports the CPU at about 35 degrees (the discrepancy is obviously cause the controller sensor isn't ON the CPU) and the GPU at 39 degrees.

In "auto" mode, the fans are running: Front 1; 50%, front 2; 60%. Back 100% (the one not on the controller). Top 80% and Side 70%.

Total CURRENT Intake = 156cfm
Total CURRENT Exhaust = 112cfm

Here are the questions:
1) should I take a sensor off one of the HDDs and put it near my RAM?
2) should I put the H50 fan on the controller or just let it keep running at 100%? OR b) should I put the Yate Loon on the radiator and dial it back to equal the 59cfm the Corsair uses at 100% (about 70%)?
3) are my intake:exhaust numbers ok or should I put it in manual mode and do some tweaking? My GPU is the hottest thing running and 38 isn't bad at all...
4) should I keep the H50 fan as intake or do you think it's causing too much turbulence at the back of the case? I heard it runs better as intake opposed to exhaust...
5) any other thoughts/questions or suggestions?

Thanks all!! I just want to make sure if I have a controller that I'm taking full advantage of it on an OCed system. Heat is bad!!! :non: 

More about : airflow questions

a b K Overclocking
June 30, 2011 8:25:23 PM

Never got an answer to this, and I thought since it's 6 months old, I'd try again and bump it. I got my fans running, but input is always appreciated. Knowledge makes my brain happy...
m
l

Best solution

June 30, 2011 9:47:04 PM

Good bump, I wasn't around 6 months ago so I will give it a shot now.

First of all I would always say that you are the expert on your own rig, especially with airflow. You are the one that can physically look and test at what is going on with the airflow inside your case.

That being said there are a few general concepts that are fairly well received by all. (on a side note, airflow can be a very controversial topic as there are pros and cons to everything)
1. Heat rises so exhaust fans on the top are a good thing. Depending on where your PSU is an exhaust fan on the back is valuable as well.
2. The quicker the air gets to something the cooler the air is going to be. Example: A large front intake fan is a good thing for getting airflow over your HDD drives and possibly your GPU. But using the air that has passed over your HDDs and GPU to cool your CPU after that does not always work very well.

Those are probably the 2 most universal tips for good air flow.

Now onto some of the more controversial issues.

1. I generally find that a side fan helps to bring cool air directly onto a part that needs the coolest air (i.e. CPU or GPU). However, I have heard many people say that a side fan messed up the airflow in their case and caused temps to go up.
2. I have read a couple posts in other places that say a top mounted PSU is the better option for air flow and cooling, honestly I couldn't even tell you why because I didn't pay too much attention to the article. All I see is a top mounted PSU being a glorified exhaust fan while trying to cool itself with the hottest air available in your case (the air you want to get rid of).
3. Some people have their PSU (on top or bottom) drawing fresh air directly into itself and exhausting it directly back out so it is closed off from the rest of your system. Obviously there is nothing wrong with this situation and it is a great way to get fresh air to your PSU I just think that it is a good compromise to let your PSU help out the rest of the system, that is if it is on the bottom of course.

I need to leave work so when I get home I will post my personal thoughts and setup (it does break a few of these rules, but with good reason).
a b K Overclocking
July 9, 2011 12:42:56 AM

Best answer selected by scottiemedic.
m
l
!