Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Wondering how to reformat?

Last response: in Storage
October 27, 2010 4:45:48 PM

So my dad has a laptop with XP SP3 and I wanna delete everything so I can start on a clean slate, I don't wanna upgrade cause I don't want to keep ANYTHING that's on the drive. We're moving any important documents.

Can someone tell me how I would go about to completely reformat the HDD and delete everything so I can install a fresh version of W7?

More about : wondering reformat

Best solution

October 27, 2010 5:07:05 PM

Boot from the Win7 DVD.
Select advanced setting when selecting the hard drive for installing Win7
Highlight the drive
Click format
October 27, 2010 8:17:48 PM

christiangordon said:
Boot from the Win7 DVD.
Select advanced setting when selecting the hard drive for installing Win7
Highlight the drive
Click format

So this function is within the W7 setup?
m
l
Related resources
October 27, 2010 9:05:34 PM

Before you update I would look at see if the drivers are available for your machine with windows 7. If they are down load them and put them on a cd or jump drive. Then follow christiangordon's instructions. Once it finishes the format, install new drivers. Run updates and install base programs like antivirus etc. take a look at ninite.com it will make installing the basics much easier.
m
l
October 27, 2010 9:14:24 PM

What do you if the drivers are available? and I know about Ninite, Ill be installing security and everything don't worry

Can't I just get the updates from the automatic update thing?
m
l
October 28, 2010 1:24:33 AM

Download them before you format and burn them to a cd or dvd.

Use windows update it is on the start menu.
m
l
October 28, 2010 2:04:04 AM

reaper2794 said:
So my dad has a laptop with XP SP3 and I wanna delete everything so I can start on a clean slate, I don't wanna upgrade cause I don't want to keep ANYTHING that's on the drive. We're moving any important documents.

Can someone tell me how I would go about to completely reformat the HDD and delete everything so I can install a fresh version of W7?

To format the drive in Windows 7, click Start>Control Panel>System and Maintenance>Administrative Tools>Computer Management. In the navigation pan, click on Storage and the Disk Management.
m
l
a b G Storage
October 28, 2010 2:42:25 AM

Quote:

To format the drive in Windows 7, click Start>Control Panel>System and Maintenance>Administrative Tools>Computer Management. In the navigation pan, click on Storage and the Disk Management.

Can't do that with out the OS installed.

@OP: Run Dban. That will COMPLETELY remove everything on the disk, including MBR,etc. Then just install Win 7 on it.

Btw, what's the specs on the laptop? If it's running XP chances are it's an old laptop. Just make sure you have 4GB RAM and a decent CPU.
m
l
November 4, 2010 12:09:41 AM

I got it installed
m
l
November 4, 2010 12:10:47 AM

Best answer selected by Reaper2794.
m
l
!