Sign in with
Your question

Raid 1

Last response: in Storage
October 27, 2010 6:40:53 PM

Hi All,

My problem is as follows: I have installed raid from the mother board (FOXCONN A88) drives if important (western digital Caviar black 64 mb cache) both the same.

I want to uninstall this raid connection and revert back to using both drives as normal sata drives under win 7.

Problem is: I know nothing about raid, did this by following instructions in mother board manual, and that dosen't say how to undo what I've done, so can someone please tell me (step by step) please how to uninstall this configuration.

Regards

GM)

More about : raid

a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
October 27, 2010 6:57:25 PM

1) back up all data.
2) disconnect 1 drive
3) boot from the windows 7 disk and install... with full format
4) connect the 2nd HDD
5) format the 2nd HDD
6) move your backed up data back
7) Have a great day
m
l
October 27, 2010 7:07:16 PM

anonymous1 said:
1) back up all data.
2) disconnect 1 drive
3) boot from the windows 7 disk and install... with full format
4) connect the 2nd HDD
5) format the 2nd HDD
6) move your backed up data back
7) Have a great day

Hi anonymous1,

Is that the only way to do it, can it be done without disconnecting any drives?

I don't have any data, only just built the box, and decided not to use raid, seems a waste of a good drive and I have external back up anyway. Also need to install 64 bit win to use my ram 32 bit will only use 4 gig.

So if any other way would appreciate knowing it...

Thanks and Regards

GM)
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a c 379 G Storage
October 27, 2010 7:19:59 PM

I'm not sure if this works for all motherboards, but when I disassemled my RAID 1 all I did was go into the bios and change the RAID setting to disabled and disconnected one of the raid'ed drives. Then I rebooted, went back into the bios and changed the boot order so that the remaing drive was 1st on the list. I then shut down, reconnected the second drive, rebooted and formatted the second drive.

You might be able to eliminate some steps, but I just wanted to make sure I didn't erase the boot drive and to make sure the boot order list had the correct drive listed as first.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
October 28, 2010 3:17:39 PM

+1 To Hawkeye
You can just disable the RAID in your BIOS. I sometimes take a extra step to makes sure of what I am doing.
m
l
October 28, 2010 8:33:12 PM

Hi Guy's,

Thank you both for the replies, I'm not sure if this means anything, but I have the ability to delete drives from the raid configuration when I boot up <ctl +F.>.

So what if I delete these drives then turn off raid, as I said it's a FOXCONN MB, (not the most expensive, spent funds on CPU, drives and RAM) its the A88GMx to give full code).

Anyone Know abot this?

DG)
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
October 28, 2010 8:54:32 PM

you can delete them from the raid config but if you already have them in a RAID array and there is data on them you will lose everything.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a c 357 G Storage
October 29, 2010 2:35:45 AM

You have to start by understand there is NOT just ONE RAID system. They all operate differently, and have different requirements.

RAID0 splits data over two drives and you MUST have BOTH drives operating to get any data from that array. If you Delete the RAId0 array, you do lose EVERYTHING.

RAID1 actually makes to exact copies of everything - one copy on each of the two hard drive. It is called mirroring. With many RAID1 systems there is a good procedure for "brealing" it into two separate drives, each (or at least one) with a full copy of all the data so it is not lost. HOWEVER, I cannot guarantee this for ALL RAID1 arrays. READ your manual and find out what it can do, and HOW to do it - follow the instructions.

RAID5 and RAID 6 are very different again, but I suspect you are not concerned with them.

BIG point, though, appears in your second posting. You say you have NO data on the4 array - you only installed your OS on it, then changed your mind. So if you really do NOT care to save ANYTHING on the Raid array and are planning simply to re-install the OS anyway, this all becomes MUCH simpler. If that really is your situation, just go into the RAID Setup utility and Delete the drives from the RAID array. Exit that and reboot and go immediately into BIOS Setup. Go to where the drives are configured and set the SATA Mode to NOT be RAID. Probably you want to set it to AHCI Mode, and then specify in a different place that one of them is to be used to boot from. Save and Exit from this and you now have a system with just junk on the drives, almost like a new system, except that the drives are not completely empty. Now you can go through a normal Installation of your OS.
m
l
!