Best Intel Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Extreme for Photography Editing

Hi there,

I was just wondering if someone could recommend what Core 2 Duo processor works best with photo editing and some light video editing. I'm building a PC for someone as a gift that does a lot of that and was curious as to which processor would be best. I know that the new quad core processors are ideal, but like most, I have to remain on a budget and would like the best that I could get for my money and specifically editing.

Thank you!
10 answers Last reply
More about best intel core core extreme photography editing
  1. You'd get more bang for your buck from a slightly overclocked i7 920 than downing $1000 dollars into an outdated core 2 extreme processor.
  2. Well if you are trying to remain on a budget than why even mention Core 2 Extreme? You're paying for a darker label and an unlocked multiplier. We need to know your actual budget.
  3. My current budget for a CPU is about $160 and under.
  4. I assume USD. In that case Core 2 Extreme is way, way outside your budget.

There's this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115055

and this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115059

I'm not sure how much cache is important to video editing/transcoding. If it's important then those two options aren't really the best because they have reduced amounts of cache.
  5. Kairukun88 said:
    Hi there,

I was just wondering if someone could recommend what Core 2 Duo processor works best with photo editing and some light video editing. I'm building a PC for someone as a gift that does a lot of that and was curious as to which processor would be best. I know that the new quad core processors are ideal, but like most, I have to remain on a budget and would like the best that I could get for my money and specifically editing.

Thank you!

What specific software?
  6. WIth a $160 budget, the best CPU for photo editing is the e8400.
  7. doesn't editing benefit from multiple cores? that I'd surely go for Quad core... maybe Phenom 2 810 oder Intel core2q 8200?
  8. It will benefit more if you get a E8400 and spend your money on a SSD drive. Most of the time the bottleneck, after your E8400, will be the storage.

What software are you using? This may dictate whether a Quad be better than a Duo
  9. Using Photoshop Elements 3.0
  10. Phenom 720BE / Asus 790GX AM3: $210 AR

Quite similar to the e8400 in PS performance. The extra core of the 720BE will provide a boost in the "light video editing". The Phenom 810 would be a great overall deal (if it restocks in the next few days) if the user utilizes plugins or filters that will run across 4 cores.

With the extra $$$ saved buy a second HD for a scratch/capture drive, or maybe 2 extra Gb of RAMs.

If you already have your s775 mobo go for the e8400.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Core Photo Processors Product