Trying to see old Raid 0 on new Windows 7 system

timebeing

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
On my old (5years) computer i had the OS installed to 2 80gig hard drives on a MSI K8N Neo4-F 939 NVIDIA nForce4 motherboard running Win XP.

the OS crapped out, so I got a SSD and installed Win 7 which worked great and saw the Raid 0, and started to copy over the raid to a 1.5tb drive. I thought the system was stable but something Blue Screened my system during the copy and i could not get the system to boot from anything (Boot drive fail error even if i booted from a DVD/CD)

So i went out and got my well over due upgrade. New MB, Mem, processor and Power supply (likely cause of the Blue Screen) New MB is a ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3 AMD 870

reinstalled win 7 to the SSD but can't get Windows to see the Raid. If i set all my sata ports to IDE Win7 sees all 4 drives but doesn't recognize the raid.

If i set SATA 1-4 to raid and 5-6 to IDE. Win7 sees the SSD to boot, and the MB sees the raid drives, but Win7 does not.

The one thing I have not done is play with the Raid drivers that come with the motherboard. (only had a few hours last night to trouble shoot)

One big question is a Raid 0 made on one MB hardware controller viewable on another Hardware Controller?

Thanks!

Solution
RAID arrays are NOT always "standard", and I have never been a fan of RAID 0.

I am a BIG fan of SSD's though!

If the controller is not the same company, they may not be transferable. 10 years ago, new Adaptec controllers could not read older Adaptec RAID arrays - and they were the #1 vendor at the time.

Best,
Roger.

NetworkStorageTips

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
RAID arrays are NOT always "standard", and I have never been a fan of RAID 0.

I am a BIG fan of SSD's though!

If the controller is not the same company, they may not be transferable. 10 years ago, new Adaptec controllers could not read older Adaptec RAID arrays - and they were the #1 vendor at the time.

Best,
Roger.

Solution

timebeing

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010

5 years ago it was nice for speed but completely unneeded now. Love my SSD so far. My system is deathly quiet with my new MB and power supply.

As for my raid the good news, is that I found there are a ton of "Raid Recovery" Software out there. I've tried a few that offer free demos, and even free "recover a few folders" and they look to be working, which makes sense, since there was never any real damage to the drive just a fried raid controller.

If anyone has any suggestions of a truly freeware raid recovery utility or an inexpensive one, (most want 99$-200$! but i found one that looks to work for 45$) I'd appreciate it

TRENDING THREADS