Sign in with
Your question

EVGA GTX 460 Overclocking (Voltage)

Last response: in Overclocking
December 7, 2010 7:50:55 PM

Hey, I'm a n00bie. N00bie to overclocking that is. I have two EVGA GTX 460 768mb SC cards. Right now they are running at 825/1650/1925 at stock voltage. My clocks are pretty low, but I see artifacts in some games (usually the Vantage artifacts visit first) if I go much higher. I spent a while doing this, and I finally got them stable where they are now. I would like to go a little higher, preferably around at least 850 on the clock and 2000 on the memory. To do this, I understand I'll have to play with voltage. When it comes to the voltage though, I'm scared and don't want to touch anything. The stock voltage is 1037 and the max is 1087. I don't know much about voltage and wouldn't know how to test or decide which to use for my desired clocks. I would assume you raise the voltage until you see artifacts, but I honestly have no idea. Either if someone could fill me in and give me suggestions, or point me to somewhere I could learn about voltage (or both ) that would be really appreciative and helpful. Thank you very much for your help and it means a lot to me.

EDIT: If you could suggest the safest way to do this, that would be great. If messing around with voltage isn't very safe, please tell me so I know not to. Thanks.

Axizor
December 8, 2010 11:53:51 AM

Crank it to 1.087, Nvidia deems that it is a safe voltage for 24/7 use providing your temps are still reasonable. I have unlocked the voltage on my card and I'm running it at 1.125 right now without any problems and I have been for about 2 months. I've had it up to 1.2 before but I didn't gain anything by taking it that high. If you raise the voltage too high your card will either lock up or the driver will crash but a simple restart will fix it. You deserve a pat on the back for asking first instead of blindly adjusting voltages, that's a great way to make paperweights.
m
l
May 31, 2011 3:40:29 AM

Andon48 said:
Crank it to 1.087, Nvidia deems that it is a safe voltage for 24/7 use providing your temps are still reasonable. I have unlocked the voltage on my card and I'm running it at 1.125 right now without any problems and I have been for about 2 months. I've had it up to 1.2 before but I didn't gain anything by taking it that high. If you raise the voltage too high your card will either lock up or the driver will crash but a simple restart will fix it. You deserve a pat on the back for asking first instead of blindly adjusting voltages, that's a great way to make paperweights.

Dude one question what voltage and cpu fan speed are you using with that GTX 460 with that OC setting ?? 930/1860/2100
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
June 1, 2011 5:00:16 PM

My 1gb easily hits the clocks in the signature, and I haven't yet pushed to see what I can get. No voltage or anything.
edit: turns out I have around one artifact per minute at the superclocked clocks; I have a thread going to find out if that matters.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
June 3, 2011 8:50:59 AM

OC to your heart's content, but try to avoid VRAM overclocking. No cooling makes this the main reason GFX cards pop from inexperienced overclocking.
m
l
!