Problem playing WMV file

February 18, 2005 6:57:02 PM

Hi,

i want to view offline webcasts from microsoft
(they are on the index-CD of my msdn-subscription)
on my pocket pc (MDA II from German T-Mobile) with
Windows Media Player 9.

The file is on a SD-Card in the expansion slot and
has about 50 MBytes.

Windows Media Player seems to play the file, but I
cannot hear any sound and see no video. Only the
"timebar" is running. Other wmv files work. The file
also works on any workstation running Windows XP or
Windows 2000 just not on the PocketPC.

Here are the properties of the file as displayed under
tools->properties in Windows Media Player 9:
Duration: 1:30:18
Location: \Sotrage Card
Bit Rate: 104 kbps
Audio Codec: ACELP.net
Audio Description: 8.5 kbits/s, 8000Hz, Mono
Video Codec: Windows Media Screen V7
Video Size: 704 x 528
Protected Status: No

Any suggestions on how to play these file on the
pocket pc? Do I need any special codec or something?

Any help is greatly appreciated
Frank
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 9:44:49 PM

Worth a try is to use the media player to 'Sync' to the pocket PC. I'm
not sure that PPC supports 'ACELP' codec, but if your desktop PC does
then it can convert it to a file the PPC player can use. In addition
you'll get a smaller file size if it's down-converting from NTSC
720x576 to about 320x240. 50Meg sounds quite small for a full-screen
1.5 hour file though !

If that doesn't work, you can use WM Encoder to convert the file for
you with the Pocket PC profile settings.

Cheers - Neil

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 15:57:02 +0100, tschombe <tschombe@lycos.de>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>i want to view offline webcasts from microsoft
>(they are on the index-CD of my msdn-subscription)
>on my pocket pc (MDA II from German T-Mobile) with
>Windows Media Player 9.
>
>The file is on a SD-Card in the expansion slot and
>has about 50 MBytes.
>
>Windows Media Player seems to play the file, but I
>cannot hear any sound and see no video. Only the
>"timebar" is running. Other wmv files work. The file
>also works on any workstation running Windows XP or
>Windows 2000 just not on the PocketPC.
>
>Here are the properties of the file as displayed under
>tools->properties in Windows Media Player 9:
>Duration: 1:30:18
>Location: \Sotrage Card
>Bit Rate: 104 kbps
>Audio Codec: ACELP.net
>Audio Description: 8.5 kbits/s, 8000Hz, Mono
>Video Codec: Windows Media Screen V7
>Video Size: 704 x 528
>Protected Status: No
>
>Any suggestions on how to play these file on the
>pocket pc? Do I need any special codec or something?
>
>Any help is greatly appreciated
>Frank
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 6:32:08 PM

Thanks for your answer Neil,

How does 'syncing' with a media player works???
Can you give me a hint on that?

Greetings
Frank

Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media] wrote:
> Worth a try is to use the media player to 'Sync' to the pocket PC. I'm
> not sure that PPC supports 'ACELP' codec, but if your desktop PC does
> then it can convert it to a file the PPC player can use. In addition
> you'll get a smaller file size if it's down-converting from NTSC
> 720x576 to about 320x240. 50Meg sounds quite small for a full-screen
> 1.5 hour file though !
>
> If that doesn't work, you can use WM Encoder to convert the file for
> you with the Pocket PC profile settings.
>
> Cheers - Neil
>
> On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 15:57:02 +0100, tschombe <tschombe@lycos.de>
> wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>i want to view offline webcasts from microsoft
>>(they are on the index-CD of my msdn-subscription)
>>on my pocket pc (MDA II from German T-Mobile) with
>>Windows Media Player 9.
>>
>>The file is on a SD-Card in the expansion slot and
>>has about 50 MBytes.
>>
>>Windows Media Player seems to play the file, but I
>>cannot hear any sound and see no video. Only the
>>"timebar" is running. Other wmv files work. The file
>>also works on any workstation running Windows XP or
>>Windows 2000 just not on the PocketPC.
>>
>>Here are the properties of the file as displayed under
>>tools->properties in Windows Media Player 9:
>>Duration: 1:30:18
>>Location: \Sotrage Card
>>Bit Rate: 104 kbps
>>Audio Codec: ACELP.net
>>Audio Description: 8.5 kbits/s, 8000Hz, Mono
>>Video Codec: Windows Media Screen V7
>>Video Size: 704 x 528
>>Protected Status: No
>>
>>Any suggestions on how to play these file on the
>>pocket pc? Do I need any special codec or something?
>>
>>Any help is greatly appreciated
>>Frank

February 20, 2005 12:09:31 AM

OK well possibly I used the wrong term : For windows media player
7,8,9 it's actually under "Copy to device" probably on the left hand
buttons. If you use media player 10, it's a different tab on the top
called "Sync" but they all do the same thing.

Basically when you set up a sync, the desktop media player does some
degree of conversion to a format the mobile device's stripped down
media player can handle. That's what I meant by "Sync"

HTH
Cheers - Neil

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 15:32:08 +0100, tschombe <tschombe@lycos.de>
wrote:

>Thanks for your answer Neil,
>
>How does 'syncing' with a media player works???
>Can you give me a hint on that?
>
>Greetings
>Frank
>
>Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media] wrote:
>> Worth a try is to use the media player to 'Sync' to the pocket PC. I'm
>> not sure that PPC supports 'ACELP' codec, but if your desktop PC does
>> then it can convert it to a file the PPC player can use. In addition
>> you'll get a smaller file size if it's down-converting from NTSC
>> 720x576 to about 320x240. 50Meg sounds quite small for a full-screen
>> 1.5 hour file though !
>>
>> If that doesn't work, you can use WM Encoder to convert the file for
>> you with the Pocket PC profile settings.
>>
>> Cheers - Neil
>>
>> On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 15:57:02 +0100, tschombe <tschombe@lycos.de>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>i want to view offline webcasts from microsoft
>>>(they are on the index-CD of my msdn-subscription)
>>>on my pocket pc (MDA II from German T-Mobile) with
>>>Windows Media Player 9.
>>>
>>>The file is on a SD-Card in the expansion slot and
>>>has about 50 MBytes.
>>>
>>>Windows Media Player seems to play the file, but I
>>>cannot hear any sound and see no video. Only the
>>>"timebar" is running. Other wmv files work. The file
>>>also works on any workstation running Windows XP or
>>>Windows 2000 just not on the PocketPC.
>>>
>>>Here are the properties of the file as displayed under
>>>tools->properties in Windows Media Player 9:
>>>Duration: 1:30:18
>>>Location: \Sotrage Card
>>>Bit Rate: 104 kbps
>>>Audio Codec: ACELP.net
>>>Audio Description: 8.5 kbits/s, 8000Hz, Mono
>>>Video Codec: Windows Media Screen V7
>>>Video Size: 704 x 528
>>>Protected Status: No
>>>
>>>Any suggestions on how to play these file on the
>>>pocket pc? Do I need any special codec or something?
>>>
>>>Any help is greatly appreciated
>>>Frank

Anonymous
February 20, 2005 3:07:40 AM

Oh ok,
thanks for this explanation. Never saw these buttons.

What I did in the meantime was downloading th WM Encoder
you mentioned, converted the file with the pocketpc template
and copied this file to my pocketpc and VOILA, it runs ;-)

So thanks again for your
help, really appreciate it.

Greetings from Germany
Frank

Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media] wrote:
> OK well possibly I used the wrong term : For windows media player
> 7,8,9 it's actually under "Copy to device" probably on the left hand
> buttons. If you use media player 10, it's a different tab on the top
> called "Sync" but they all do the same thing.
>
> Basically when you set up a sync, the desktop media player does some
> degree of conversion to a format the mobile device's stripped down
> media player can handle. That's what I meant by "Sync"
>
> HTH
> Cheers - Neil
>
> On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 15:32:08 +0100, tschombe <tschombe@lycos.de>
> wrote:
>

>>Thanks for your answer Neil,
>>
>>How does 'syncing' with a media player works???
>>Can you give me a hint on that?
>>
>>Greetings
>>Frank
>>
>>Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media] wrote:
>>
>>>Worth a try is to use the media player to 'Sync' to the pocket PC. I'm
>>>not sure that PPC supports 'ACELP' codec, but if your desktop PC does
>>>then it can convert it to a file the PPC player can use. In addition
>>>you'll get a smaller file size if it's down-converting from NTSC
>>>720x576 to about 320x240. 50Meg sounds quite small for a full-screen
>>>1.5 hour file though !
>>>
>>>If that doesn't work, you can use WM Encoder to convert the file for
>>>you with the Pocket PC profile settings.
>>>
>>>Cheers - Neil

Anonymous
February 20, 2005 4:58:46 PM

Yep well, the encoder's a more useful and flexible tool once you get
to grips with its complex interface. You can do stuff like 2-pass mode
which gives an improvement to video on the 2nd pass. WM Player only
ever does 1-pass over a video. There are also very many more options
to optimize and/or resize the video than the player (where you get
about 5 fixed settings to use)

Cheers - Neil

!