Your question

PSU Calculator not accurate

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Components
Last response: in Components
July 4, 2009 1:38:46 PM

Hi,

I tried different PSU Calculators and they differ in huge amounts for the same setup. Like at least 50- 90 watts difference in the 3 PSU calculators. I just cannot afford to buy a costly PSU . I asked my PC dealer and he told for the money i got he could get me a Mercury 450 Watt PSU
Will that be enough for

this setup :

AMD Athlonx2 7750
XFX XXX ATI 4850
2GB DDr2 COrshair
1 DVDRW drive
2 Seagate barracude 7200rpm

I just need to know if 450 watt PSU will be enough? Anyone help ? please .

More about : psu calculator accurate

a b ) Power supply
July 4, 2009 2:17:12 PM

A good quality 400W PSU is plenty for your system. I would recommend Corsair CX400, Antec Earthwatts 380 or 430, or Seasonic S12 II 380 or 430.

The PSU is the most important component in your system. If you buy a crappy PSU there is a good chance it will fail, and when it does it can take other components with it.
July 4, 2009 2:33:44 PM

Thanks a lot . But I can't afford a Corsair or Antec etc ... No money . My PC dealer suggested me Mercury 450 watt will that be okay ?
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
July 4, 2009 2:47:51 PM

hash said:
Thanks a lot . But I can't afford a Corsair or Antec etc ... No money . My PC dealer suggested me Mercury 450 watt will that be okay ?

Never heard of it, so chances are it's crap, which means it may ending up costing you a lot more in the long run if you need to replace other parts due to failure.

Some decent lower cost PSUs are Antec Basiq or OCZ, or Seasonic SS.
a c 144 ) Power supply
July 5, 2009 12:52:45 PM

Although I like Antecs (I own two), I have heard enough bad the about the Basiq line, that I'd avoid it.

hash, I'd avoid the Mercury PSU. I tried to google the PSU. Could not find specs.

One thing you could, if you do not need it right away, is to watch for sales.
July 5, 2009 12:53:10 PM

Do try and get a decent psu. I used to use a 480W cheapo that come with my case. That is until i started getting the LED on the fans dimming when i loaded up games then crashing 5min in. Borrow $30 off a friend for a couple of weeks and splash out on a decent psu as it is the blood of your system. You will not regret it I PROMISE
!