Hard drive replacement Case and eletronics

Ainvar

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2009
I know the basic of hard drive replacements. Pull the old one out and put in a new one. This one dealing with the inside of the harddisk.

But I have someone asking about if they can replace eletronics and case of a hard drive. With the same Make and model. Then put the Old hard disk Disks into the new drive. Then put it back together.

Then collect the Info off the hard disk by setting it up on Slave drive and get the info off that drive.

:??:

I basicly told the guy I really dont think so or it a very Long shot. But the guy willing to try anything to get the info off that drive. He will have the same make model tomarrow.

If this dose work what software would I be useing to try to collect the info.

AFAICS, the only reason you would need to do that would be if the spin motor was seized. However, a platter swap is a major job. It's not DIY.

Head Stack Replacement: Questions and Answers:
http://hddguru.com/content/en/articles/2006.02.17-Changing-headstack-Q-and-A/

Head replacement and platter swap demo:
http://www.datarecoverytools.co.uk/2010/06/22/head-replacement-and-platter-swap-demo/

Jonmor68

Distinguished
+1 Definatly not a DIY job, a small spec of dust can finish it off. It's one of those pay an expert to do the job if the data is crucial (and they have you by the short and curlies) or write it off. If you know what you're doing you may be able to replace the printed circuit board if that's required, but platters, forget it.
Would you believe I had someone recently removing the platters from a hdd and trying to put them in an optical drive to get the data off, good thing the hole was too small.

Ainvar

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2009
There one more reason fzabkar the guy already taken it apart. :ouch: He found the board was burnt which would not be a major problem with me. I would of order a new hard drive same make model and use the eletronic board from that. But the guy Open the case with no computer knowlage. :pt1cable: Well I know it make a long shot as a Real looonnnggg shot.
He want my help putting it in a new hard drive.

If he has already removed the platters from the drive, its no longer a long shot, its just not possible.

Ainvar

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2009
Ya once I watch the Video from Scott Moulton. That became Clear. It all about Alinement and the info on a hard drive so small and is Writen not to one Platter but multi Platers.

But I told the guy this is a Long shot. It would take me more to understand the hard drive it before trying to do anything. He was watching youtube Videos. What I watch was video from Scott Moulton and he deals with Forensics and data recovery and made a very clear.

Plumble

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
I did once swap the boards on HDDs for a siilar repair, but opening up the drive was not smart for this guy. The odds are incredibly small but there a tiny chance the disk internals can be put back together with the board from a new disk. Even if this works, it would not work long-term. Hopefully would work long enough to get the data off but you may simply end up losing both disks.

Ainvar

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2009
Well getting the drive back togetther Plumble is not the issue. It was making just right with the other disk. Once the Two are Misalined. There No hope getting them alined ever. Once I found this out I had to tell the guy sorry there no Hope.

But I do agree Swapping the Boards. That should work as long as it the Same Frameware, Size and Model. It would only be for collecting info.