angrykitty

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
Ok guys, need some help with a computer I'm planning, just wanted your thoughts on the following spec's:

CPU: Intel core I7 920
M/B: EVGA X58 SLI
Mem: 2x2Gb G.Skil PC3-10666 1333Mhz
NIC: Killer K1 NIC
Power: Corsair TX-650
GPU: 2X EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512mb
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200rpm
Case: Thermaltake Armor+ LCS
LCS Addon: LGA 1366 mounting bracket
Fan Control: NZXT Sentry LX

I've built quite a few systems in the past, however this will be my first water cooled system. I'm going to see how I go with the dual SLI being cooled by fan's but may need to get a bigger pump and add them to the water cooling system.

Aside from that, just wondering about your thoughts on this set up, good / bad / silly, and wanting your input on if I should swap out any parts. I'm trying to stick to a budget of about 3,000AUD, which is about what this will cost.

Thanks guys.

Hi...here are a few things that you should change...

1. You should get the Tri channel RAMs...Go for either 3X1GB or 3X2GB RAM sets...
because the i7 CPU support tri channel RAMs...

2. If you have not bought the Graphics card, I would suggest you to get the GTS 250 and not 9800GTX+ because the GTS has the same 9800GTX+ chip on a smaller die...hence it has better efficiency and less heat...
But I would suggest you to go for the GTX260 core 216 rather than the 9800GTX+ because later on you can get another 260 for SLI...they would be more powerful and efficient...And the 260 perform very nicely on the X58 chipsets...

3. The 650TX will be sufficient but get the 750TX to be safe..

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
Drop the K1 NIC, totally pointless waste of money.

I would also get the GTX 285, its more efficient and will allow you to add another one later as opposed to having to start over again when you need a GPU upgrade. If you like the idea of that Dual gpu setup, then go for the GTS 250 1GB instead, same GPU with more power due to the memory and same price point.

angrykitty

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
Cheers for the feedback guys, will change the RAM over, and will look into the GTX285 as well.

As for the K1 NIC, i have heard nothing but good reviews for it.... basically I do nothing but World of Warcraft online, being in Australia we have a lot of Lag issues, I wanted to check to see if it was any good. I'm really hoping it will give a performance boost, 1/2 a second of lag is just silly, and that's about the best I've been getting lately.

Anyone used the Armor+ LCS out here? I have heard mixed reviews, but apparently it's a good starting liquid cooling system.

I have about 2 months before I buy anything, so that's why I'm asking now, keep the feedback coming guys.

+1 for the GTX 285.

The 650TX doesn't even have the 4 PCI-E connectors needed for 9800GTX+ SLI.

Edit: if you do insist on 9800 GTX+ SLI, get the 750TX because that one has 4 connectors.