Closed Solved

Wake on LAN

Hi ALL. I have two PC (say, "A" and "B"). "A" can auto-boot at a preset time from BIOS and "B" can't. In my application, I need all system machines to boot without having to be turned on. I can deploy WOL (Wake On Lan) from "A" to "B" manually (post-login) and it works perfectly. I am trying to find a way (probably registry tweak) whereby I can deploy WOL through a batch (or EXE) file which runs pre-login (command line only, no GUI). In other words, I don't want to have to login prior to WOL being deployed. So, I'm looking at "A" auto-booting (via BIOS) and that in turn deploying WOL to automatically boot "B" without any user intervention. Any ideas? Thank you. Mick
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about wake
  1. It seems if "B" is off, it's off, no?

Use machine "A" with the old-school parallel port and send an output to a pin to trigger a solenoid that pushes the power button on "B" with handshaking so it stays pushed until it actually punches the power button and releases. You could also turn it off from a distance this way too. Just a passing thought.

2. Hi tigsounds. Thanks for your prompt response. Great idea except that in reality there are a number of machines in each group and a number of groups. To answer your question .... yes "B" is off. That's not a problem as Wake On Lan powers it back on (the word "wake" being a little deceptive here). The key to my request is the fact that I require no user intervention for the machines to be turned on so that they are ready and waiting (at the login screens) when the users arrive. Cheers.
  3. Quote:
    So, I'm looking at "A" auto-booting (via BIOS) and that in turn deploying WOL to automatically boot "B" without any user intervention.

If "A" starts without needing a password, and it has a batch file to ping all the other computers, they should all wake up.... right? Put the batch in Windows startup and if you re-boot during the day, so what, you do another ping... harmless. Have "Computer Browser" service enabled on all machines so they will wake up a bit smarter about everybody else on the network.
  4. True ... unfortunately, "A" does not boot into Windows without a password and that Windows password is user specific (ie. non-generic). "A" boots from BIOS from a "Boot At 06h00 setting" but it only boots to the login screen (the other older PC's don't have this BIOS boot function). So the problem I have is that a single user needs to log onto "A" before my batch file runs and all the other PC's will turn on. That is why I need to be able to run my scripy pre-login. Apologies for the confusion.
  5. Best answer
    Maybe you could make a change to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\BootExecute

and substitute your batch for autocheck autochk *

see also:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Session Manager

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Session Manager

More resources:

HERE
    HERE (also works with XP)
    HERE
  6. Hi tigsounds. Thank you very much for your effort and input. I will try this and let you know how I get along. Cheers, Mick
  7. Thank you very much tigsounds. I followed the instruction under your heading "More Resources" and it worked a treat. Exactly what I wanted to achieve. Thank you for sharing your experience. Cheers, Mick
  8. Where there's a will, there's a way. :)
  9. Best answer selected by thefixitguy.
  10. This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration Login Boot Windows XP