Sign in with
Your question
Solved

P5N72-T premium and E8500

Last response: in Overclocking
December 9, 2010 12:55:28 AM

Hey guys, I have never posted here before so I hope I am in the right area.
Alright so I have never overclocked and want to know if anyone can tell me if overclocking my E8500 would do any good or if there is a weak link in my system.
I have: P5N72-T Premium 780i MB

XFX gtx 260 Black edition (666 core, 1150 mem clock, and a 1404 shader clock) It basically rates at gtx 280 level and here is a review of it: http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/xfx_gtx260_blac...

4GB of Patriot Viper DDR-2 800mhz at 4-4-4-12

Raptor 74GB HD and a cpu fan but I can’t remember the name of it. Looks like a Thermaltake Contac 30 or a Scythe Ninja 3. It should be good enough to overclock anyway though.

I had wanted to overclock when I put this together so I made sure I got the EO stepping on the E8500. Also, was thinking about maybe trying to overclock along with upgrading to gtx 285. Would this be a noticeable boost?

More about : p5n72 premium e8500

December 9, 2010 1:46:28 PM

I would advise against buying a 285. The performance boost you'd get doesn't justify the money.
Also the E8500 is a great CPU and you could get even more out of it with a nice OC. You should take a look here for the basics.
December 9, 2010 4:22:15 PM

Thanks for the reply. So would the 285 be bottlenecked by the e8500 at stock 3.16? What about with an OC to 3.7? While I'm at it, what would a realistic OC on this cpu even be, considering the MB and such? Oh and the OC thread has been closed, anywhere else to look?
Related resources
December 9, 2010 7:08:48 PM

Well that depends entirely on the game. Some are more CPU hungry, others are GPU hungry, I don't think there's a general rule for that. Hypothetically speaking, if you played Crysis @2560x1600 with everything at very high and 4xAA, your CPU could perform better if it had a stronger GPU to work with. Now think the opposite of that for GTA IV. But the 285 is not that much better than your GPU and it's still very expensive. If you're looking for an upgrade the GTX500 series is looking good, as is the HD68xx series from ATI for a cheaper solution.

About the OC, 3.7 sounds good and you might even be able to pull it off at stock voltage. I believe that, with a decent aftermarket cooler and some voltage tweaking, 4+ is very possible.

The OC thread isn't closed. How about this one? Maybe this will interest you too.
December 9, 2010 10:48:10 PM

The thread on this site was closed in June by a moderator. Only half the guide is there. I found it somewhere else though. 500 series is a lil too expensive for my tastes. And yes I have read of this processor going over 4 but I only have 800 mhz memory so I could only go to a 400 fsb on the cpu right? Also this motherboard only supports up to a 1600 fsb. That is absolute max. Native is 1333 but with OC it says up to 1600. Am I missing something here? Or am i right in saying my max OC I can get on this system is 400 fsbx9.5= 3.8 ghz?
December 9, 2010 11:53:39 PM

Your RAM frequency isn't a limiting factor. I'm not sure what kind of problems arise when your CPU FSB surpasses the maximum supported by your mobo though, so I can't offer any insight on that, but yeah that's the max you can achieve with this mobo.
December 10, 2010 2:26:08 AM

It isn't? Both guides say it is. Divide the mem mhz by 2 and that will the highest fsb the mem will support. Alright I guess I wasn't putting 2 and 2 together and just saw that the overclock from the techreport site got to a 455 fsb ratio with only ddr2 800 and this elevated the rated fsb to 1820 mhz on a 1333 mhz board. What am I not getting and why then did you say my max OC would be 3.8 ghz?

Best solution

a b å Intel
a c 197 K Overclocking
December 10, 2010 3:15:52 AM

Bartuc, you are mixing apples and oranges and getting fruit salad.

Definition time (attention purists, I'm talking about DDR2 and I'm simplifying a little :) ):
Core2 CPU's use a frontside bus (FSB). The FSB is a thing with two main characteristics: speed which is usually defined in MHz and width which in the Core2's is 64 bits wide. We are concerned with the speed.

Using the E8500 as an example, the FSB frequency is 333 MHz. The matching DDR2 memory clock for that frequency is 667 MHz (333 X 2). DDR2 memory transfers two chunks of data for each bus cycle, hence double the frequency. So, to run 1:1 at an FSB of 333 MHz, we need DDR2-667 RAM.

The FSB clock is 1333 MHz (333 X 4). The bus is "quad pumped". It transfers 4 chunks of data into and out of the CPU each cycle. So each FSB cycle generates 4 FSB clocks.

Now, if you increase the FSB frequency to 400 MHz, the corresponding memory clock is 800 MHz and the FSB clock is 1600 MHz.

So, if you can increase the FSB frequency to 400 MHz, your system will be running at 3.8 GHz. You can generally push the memory into the next higher speed bin (1066 MHz) by increasing the voltage (don't go over 2.2 volts) and relaxing the timing from 4-4-4-12 to 5-5-5-15.

On to the nuts and bolts ...

This should be your first stop.
Core2 Overclocking Guide (our generic guide)
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/259899-11-core-over...

Next stop should be a guide for your particular motherboard. Google is your friend.

This is a pretty good guide:
680i overclocking guide
http://pc.ign.com/articles/747/747606p3.html

It's what I based the overclock on my eVGA 680i motherboard. The 780i is just a 680i modified for Yorkfield compatibility.

The nVidia 600/700 BIOS is a little backwards from most. To set the CPU speed, you need to adjust the FSB clock, not the FSB frequency. Memory can be run in Auto, Linked (to FSB), or Unlinked. Running Linked, the BIOS will adjust the memory clock to track the FSB at a 1:1 FSB:RAM ratio. Unlinked will let you set the memory timing independent. For stability, I needed to run Unlinked. So each time I changed FSB, I had to change memory settings.

Don't increase vcore over 1.45 volts (yes, I know the top end of the VID range is 1.3625 volts). Here's where the "1.45 volts" figure comes from:
http://download.intel.com/design/processor/datashts/320... page 17.

Keep your load temps under 70 C.

December 10, 2010 9:58:24 AM

The motherboard used at techreport's guide uses an X38 chipset, which I believe can be pushed up to about 2000MHz. I'm not sure about that though so don't take my word for it.
December 10, 2010 2:23:31 PM

Thanks for the info. So theoretically I could go over 400 fsb? So my board saying an OC to a max of 1600 fsb means effectively nothing?
December 10, 2010 8:42:34 PM

Yes it is very possible that you can but I have no idea about the specs/features of the 780i SLI chipset so I can't tell you more than that.
December 15, 2010 7:24:35 AM

Ok, now can anyone tell me if a 2-3 Celsius difference on idle or a 5-6 Celsius difference during load is bad?
I wanted to prepare my E8500 for OC and decided to reapply the thermal paste (Artic Silver 5). I let settle for a couple days and now core 0 stays at 35 C and core 1 is about 37-38 C when idling. After playing a game (Fallout New Vegas) for a little bit I alt-tabbed out to check temps and core 0 was at 38 C and core 1 was at 43-44 C.
Have never checked load temps like this that I can remember so this could have been happening before I reapplied the paste, but before, the idle temps were always even.
Don't think this is good. Should I just give it more time to settle or what?
Also, when turning the pc on for the first time after reapplying the paste, my startup screen tells me my cpu has changed and to go into setup and save new settings. I didn't take my cpu out, just loosened the latch.
Any ideas?
The heatsink is a Sunbeam core contact and uses Heat-pipe Direct Touch tech. Would lapping help?
December 22, 2010 1:13:00 AM

Best answer selected by Bartuc1.
!