Sign in with
Your question

Problem with RAID 1 mirror config

Last response: in Storage
October 28, 2010 7:46:28 AM

I have 2 1TB SATA drives set up in a RAID 1 config under XP home. Each drive has a little over 2/3 of its capacity filled. Today, I stopped a file in Task Manager which I thought was associated with my locked-up scanner, but on rebooting, I got the following message from my RAID controller, so perhaps it was part of the RAID function:

"Degraded/Rebuild drive detected. It is suggested to rebuild in the operation system to presreve the competeness of your data."

That's the exact message, misspellings & all. JMicron RAID controller. The message flashed on the screen so briefly, I actually had to photograph it with my digital camera & view the image on another PC to read the bloody thing.

The "RAID configurer" as it's called which runs under windows now only shows 1 drive, the master. Only available options from this utility are "Show disks" and "Remove RAID".

I am currently copying the files from the drive(s) (array shows up as one drive letter in WE) to my other 4 HDD's , so as to make certain I don't lose any data. So far, this is working. Once I get all the data backed up on the other drives, how should I proceed? This is my 1st RAID array, so I have never had to deal with this before. Any suggestions appreciated.

TIA

Dan
a b G Storage
October 28, 2010 6:22:23 PM

If I understand you correcyly the drive that failed, if it is underwarranty RMA the drive and just pop in the new one, it will automatically rebuild the array. If it isnt just buy the exact same drive pop it it and it will automatically rebuild the array for you, mind you it will be slow when rebuilding as it has alot of data to put on the new drive.
m
l
October 29, 2010 3:07:18 AM

Thanks for the reply. I copied the ~700 gig of files onto the other 4 HDD's, then shut the PC down & reconnected the 2 1TB RAIDED drives at 2 standard SATA connections on the MOBO. I rebooted into my 2nd OS (XP Pro) ran chkdsk on the drives (no errors, apparently) & ran through the data of both briefly. They both looked fine & identical in content. Reconnected them to their RAID connections, & rebooted to the main OS. THIS TIME the RAID configurer (as they call it) recognized that the 2 were out of sync & offered to re-sync, which is going on now. Been running about 25 minutes, only up to 3%, looks as though this will take most of the night!

When I disconnected one of the cables from the RAID connector to move it to a regular SATA, I noticed it was quite loose. This is consistent with the fact that the configurer only showed ONE drive after the error occurred. I recently was in the case for a cleaning & may have jarred the connection just enough that it eventually worked loose. I HATE these damned SATA connectors! I had one break at an HDD a couple years back, I ended up having to solder the leads of a SATA cable directly to that drive's PC board & pot the whole area in hot melt glue. These connectors seem very flimsy & insecure.

Dan
m
l
October 12, 2011 7:17:08 AM

Snipergod87 said:
If I understand you correcyly the drive that failed, if it is underwarranty RMA the drive and just pop in the new one, it will automatically rebuild the array. If it isnt just buy the exact same drive pop it it and it will automatically rebuild the array for you, mind you it will be slow when rebuilding as it has alot of data to put on the new drive.

Hi,

I am using GIGABYTE GBB36xcontroller and i am having a same problem "Degraded/Rebuild drive detected. It is suggested to rebuild in the operation system to presreve the competeness of your data"

Do i need to rebuild ? if yes then how. Is there any chance for the loss of data during rebuilding. My windows is working but some of my critical softwares (to run my equipments) are'nt working. In start of windows it is giving "The data of the raid 'MAIN ' might be inconsistent . Do you want to re-synchronize the data now? "

Thanking you in advance.
m
l
!