WD 1TB carvier black
WD 600GB
Haf X full tower

Asus P6X58D Premium
Corsair HX750 psu
gtx 460 superclocked
Mushkin 6gb (3x2gb) redline PC 12800
Cooler Master V8 cpu fan

I'm using cpu and hard drives from my old pc and i have haf x case. Please help me with any advise or recommendation on parts that I'm going to buy. I'm also planning to get a SSD 120gb with Window 7, but probably not anytime soon. I'm using Vista now. I haven't done this for years and I'm wayyyyy outdated. lol
Thank you.
December 14, 2010 5:50:50 PM

Thank you for the advise. I was looking at this evga mobo too, but I had to cut down little bit of my budget. I got a Gigabyte X58A-UD3R instead.
m
l
Related resources
a c 95 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
a c 97 à CPUs
December 15, 2010 12:09:48 AM

Please keep us posted on your build progress.
m
l
December 16, 2010 3:51:35 PM

I got all my parts now.

i7 920 c0/c1
HAF X Case
Gigabyte X58A UD3R
Corsair H50 cooller
Corsair Dominator 6GB DDR3 1600
Corsair HX850 PSU

But I'm having a problem to put this together.

I have no idea how to connect all those fans to mobo and psu. Could you please help?

Mobo has 1 cpu fan header, 1 power fan header, 3 system fan headers.

Case has 4 case fans with 3-pin connector and peripheral power plug (200mm side fan, 230mm front fan, 2x 200mm top fans), 2x 120mm cpu fans for H50 with 4 pin connector, and 120mm fan for video card with 4 pin connectors.

Which ones should I plug to mobo and which ones are for psu?

Do I need to get fan splitter and adapters?

I couldn't find the solution for last 14 hrs lol.

I try again after work. This is a lot more difficult than I thought lol
m
l

Best solution

a c 95 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
a c 97 à CPUs
December 17, 2010 11:47:45 AM

Here is a great guide for building a desktop computer: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274745-31-step-step-g...

You are at step 2

As far as the fans are concerned -
- the CPU fan MUST be connected to the CPU fan header because this is monitored by the system and is designed to prevent CPU overheating.
- the case fans may be connected to the system fan headers OR you may 'daisy-chain' them and connect it directly to the PSU, in which case the fans will constantly run at full rated RPM. (When connected to the mobo fan headers, you can monitor/control the fan speed through mobo settings or software.

Even though fans draw very little power, I decided not to use the mobo fan headers and I directly daisy-chained the fans and connected them to the PSU (I have the HAF 932 case)

Your PSU should have come with plenty of Molex connectors with fan connectors attached to them - these will work for your fans - in case you need more, your local computer store (MicroCenter, CompUSA, Fry's) will carry these.

The build guide suggested at the top of this post will explain all this quite well - the motherboard manual along with watching a few YouTube videos will help.

This is a cool video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yer955E7T6w

Please don't spend too much time when you run into a stumbling block. Just take a break, and research what needs to be done, and after some time get back to the project. Just keep in mind that this is also a learning project.

Feel free to contact us here anytime you run into some difficulties. Tom's is a great resource!
December 17, 2010 4:52:58 PM

I just ordered a build with the same mobo, but for ram it's 6gb corsair dominator @1600 and the i7-950.. I'm fairly new to OC'ing, but I'll probably be checking this thread to see your OC settings. :) 
m
l
December 17, 2010 5:25:45 PM

I connected one of my cpu fan on cpu fan header and the other one on the system fan header. I connected all my case fans on Molex connectors to PSU. I don't care much about noise so I decided to run all my case fans at full RPM. All my fans are working BUT, I have not complete the build yet cuz I'm facing some other problems.
Last night, I finally put all parts together and wired all. I turned my power on and.......nothing on the monitor lol.
I thought it's a graphic card problem so I tried my old ATI HD 4850 on it and power on......nothing on the monitor again lol.
I can't even access to BIOS. I couldn't figure what's the problem is. I tried both video cards on every PCIE slots and same thing.
Can anyone help me with this?
I think it is possible that I have all 3 PCIe slots on my new mobo are DOA.
I'm gonna try to put all my new parts on my old mobo tonight. If everything works then, I'm gonna exchange my new mobo. I have not decide if I'm goona try same mobo or other mobo.

Can anyone tell me if I might have other problems than PCIe DOA for nothing on the monitor?
m
l
December 17, 2010 5:37:42 PM

drshim82 said:
I connected one of my cpu fan on cpu fan header and the other one on the system fan header. I connected all my case fans on Molex connectors to PSU. I don't care much about noise so I decided to run all my case fans at full RPM. All my fans are working BUT, I have not complete the build yet cuz I'm facing some other problems.
Last night, I finally put all parts together and wired all. I turned my power on and.......nothing on the monitor lol.
I thought it's a graphic card problem so I tried my old ATI HD 4850 on it and power on......nothing on the monitor again lol.
I can't even access to BIOS. I couldn't figure what's the problem is. I tried both video cards on every PCIE slots and same thing.
Can anyone help me with this?
I think it is possible that I have all 3 PCIe slots on my new mobo are DOA.
I'm gonna try to put all my new parts on my old mobo tonight. If everything works then, I'm gonna exchange my new mobo. I have not decide if I'm goona try same mobo or other mobo.

Can anyone tell me if I might have other problems than PCIe DOA for nothing on the monitor?

Make sure your mobo is getting power from the PSU. The mobo will have an LED (yellow or orange I can't remember) to indicate it is getting power. This light is on whenever the computer is turned off, but there is electricity going from the wall to your power strip to your PSU.

If the mobo is getting power (as indicated by the LED) and the power button doesn't cause it to go on then there's a way to reset it (can't remember but I'll google it).

I don't know if 3 dead PCIe slots is common for a DOA but it's certainly possible.

Try disconnecting/reconnecting everything but the cpu, i.e. reset all the ram, hd's, video card, etc and check all power cables to your hd, mobo, vid card, etc.. just make sure the PSU is completely unpowered from the power strip/wall.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/hardware-support/buildi...
m
l
a c 95 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
a c 97 à CPUs
December 17, 2010 5:46:15 PM

There is a simple PSU test -try this: http://www.corsair.com/cinema/movie.aspx?id=1358543

And guys, build the system first - then study overclocking, and do it gradually, step by step. Use the BIOS for doing this. Remember, gradual.
m
l
December 17, 2010 6:31:38 PM

pwoznic said:
Make sure your mobo is getting power from the PSU. The mobo will have an LED (yellow or orange I can't remember) to indicate it is getting power. This light is on whenever the computer is turned off, but there is electricity going from the wall to your power strip to your PSU.

If the mobo is getting power (as indicated by the LED) and the power button doesn't cause it to go on then there's a way to reset it (can't remember but I'll google it).

I don't know if 3 dead PCIe slots is common for a DOA but it's certainly possible.

Try disconnecting/reconnecting everything but the cpu, i.e. reset all the ram, hd's, video card, etc and check all power cables to your hd, mobo, vid card, etc.. just make sure the PSU is completely unpowered from the power strip/wall.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/hardware-support/buildi...

I will try and see if the LED lights on when power turned off, and I will post the result. I know it is not common that all the PCIe slots are DOA on new mobo. I'm still hoping that my new mobo is not DOA and I missed something or connected something wrong.

Oh, I'm not sure which one that was, but when I turned the power on last night with everything connected, the CPU LED (I think this led indicate CPU loading) on mobo and another LED for South bridge were on. I saw the yellow, orange, and red on cpu led; yellow and orange on south bridge led. But, I will try as your direction to see if the LED light is on with power switch off.

Thank you for your advise~
m
l
December 17, 2010 6:39:53 PM

Ubrales said:
There is a simple PSU test -try this: http://www.corsair.com/cinema/movie.aspx?id=1358543

And guys, build the system first - then study overclocking, and do it gradually, step by step. Use the BIOS for doing this. Remember, gradual.

Thank you for the link.

I hope my PSU works on this test.

I will post the result after this test tonight.

m
l
a c 95 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
a c 97 à CPUs
December 17, 2010 9:28:21 PM

Corsair PSUs are high quality stuff! Check it out anyway using the paper-clip test. I have the HX-850 running for over 1 year now.

Make sure that the 8-pin as well as the 24-pin connectors are plugged in securely into the mobo.
m
l
December 18, 2010 3:30:07 AM

I've tried the PSU test and it worked.
It was problem with PCIe slot and I exchanged my mobo. I got the same one, Gigabyte X58A-UD3R. I put all the parts again and everything works fine so far.
I'm currently running my PC with new mobo and all the parts to write this post :) 
I followed the instruction that linked to your third reply (I printed out to keep it for future use). This instruction led me to the completion of this build. Thanks a lot.
I've learned a lot during this build. But, I will need your more help from now on :) 

Now I'm just installing/updating the drivers and running the CPU-Z and Core Temp to see if everything works. I'm gonna take a break and just keep my eyes on my new pc for few days before I put a couple more case fans for extra slots and a fan controller, and study overclocking.

Oh, I have a question. I've heard that there are some programs to run the test for new build pc. What are those programs?

m
l
a c 95 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
a c 97 à CPUs
December 18, 2010 10:58:29 AM

Great news! Glad that everything worked!

There are some free programs to test RAM and the CPU - memtest86 ( http://www.memtest86.com/ ) - the one for the CPU stress test is prime95 ( http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=103 ) - prime95 has 32-bit as well as 64-bit versions.

I generally stay away from stress testing my computer when it is running fine, at idle as well as at gaming loads, along with good temps.

Stress testing is just what it says - stressing components. Sometimes component failures may result just by stress testing. My i7-920 is overclocked to 3.82 GHz, idles at 25 degrees C, and heavy gaming temps do not exceed 50 degrees C - I am happy with this and see no need to run prime95 and stress out the components.

Enjoy your new computer, read up a lot on overclocking, and then get set to overclock in a methodical gradual manner. Good luck and congratulations on your new build. My belief "The best way to learn a new subject is to write a book on it!"
m
l
December 22, 2010 11:05:09 PM

Best answer selected by drshim82.
m
l
a c 95 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
a c 97 à CPUs
December 22, 2010 11:13:31 PM

Thank you - have fun! It's very rewarding to do your own build, and then to overclock it!
m
l
!