Sign in with
Your question

[Troubleshooting; File Issues]Can not copy/move file off of drive

Last response: in Storage
October 28, 2010 9:27:20 AM

Alright, let me explain this a bit because I can not quite get my head around it myself.

I have a file, a large file (3.9 GB), on an external hard drive. I am trying to move it to another hard drive so I can use it in Sony Vegas, this file is a recorded video from a game.

Anytime I try to move or copy the file off of the hard drive, at about 50% finished my external demounts and remounts and I get a "can not find the file" message.

Now, I can move the file to else where on the external drive, hell I can even play the file all the way through, and nothing like that happens. However when I try to copy the file on the external drive I also get this error.

I just finished running a chkdsk /r on this drive and it said it fixed several clusters and file. This file was not one of them.

It sounds like the file might be written over a bad sector, but then why would I be able to play it? Does anyone have any ideas on how I can move this file off of the drive?
a b G Storage
October 28, 2010 3:33:25 PM

What operating system are you using, and what file system? What operating system was in use when the file was written to the external drive?
m
l
a b G Storage
October 28, 2010 3:37:14 PM

Is the external drive only power by USB. I have heard cases where external drives (only power by USB) will shutoff and restart because there isnt enough power.
m
l
Related resources
October 28, 2010 6:50:30 PM

Onus said:
What operating system are you using, and what file system? What operating system was in use when the file was written to the external drive?

I am using Vista on this computer, the drive was formatted on my machine when I had windows XP installed. It is NFTS, the same as my main computer drive. And Vista to you last question. This file is new, I just recorded it yesterday afternoon.

Snipergod87 said:
Is the external drive only power by USB. I have heard cases where external drives (only power by USB) will shutoff and restart because there isnt enough power.

And no, it has its own power source, but it does connect via usb.

I was able to salvage the file though. I ran it through VitrualDub and made a direct copy of it to my C Drive, which I was then able to move to my M Drive. I was then able to delete the file in question.

Still not sure how to explain this behavior though.
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
October 28, 2010 7:38:24 PM

Is the drive you're moving the file TO formatted as FAT by any chance? FAT has a maximum file size of 4GB and I'm wondering if you might be just over it....?
m
l
October 28, 2010 9:27:20 PM

sminlal said:
Is the drive you're moving the file TO formatted as FAT by any chance? FAT has a maximum file size of 4GB and I'm wondering if you might be just over it....?

No all of my drives are NFTS.

m
l
April 21, 2011 6:03:39 PM

I have the same problem and my video files are on internal SATA drives. I have 2 files 10GB and 8GB that I can move around the D drive from folder to folder allday long but cannot copy or move to another logical drive. Windows 7 32bit

Did you ever fix your problem or find out what it was?
m
l
April 21, 2011 10:10:05 PM

meisfett said:
I have the same problem and my video files are on internal SATA drives. I have 2 files 10GB and 8GB that I can move around the D drive from folder to folder allday long but cannot copy or move to another logical drive. Windows 7 32bit

Did you ever fix your problem or find out what it was?

Hmm, I forget how I exactly solved this. I am sure now that it was caused by some weird issue physically with the HDD though. I ran several more chkdsk's on it and it fixed some other clusters and marked a few sectors. I may have just loaded the file from that drive into Vegas instead of moving it. I remember that I was able to delete it so I am not sure if I ever did fix it. It is not happening anymore so I can only assume there was something screwed up with the file entry in the MFT possibly.

I did not problem solve this issue so I did not try many things to get it to work. You could try a file copying program that bypasses Windows internal copy function or maybe try and save it onto a flash drive or CD. I never tried any of that so I am not sure if it will work or not.
m
l
!