Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Help Me - i7 940 / Win 7 Strange Problem

Last response: in Overclocking
December 9, 2010 4:41:08 AM

Hello, I've had my i7 running at 3.75Ghz for about two years now without ever having any problems. I went on vacation, two weeks later I came back to an odd problem that I just can't seem to figure out. It seemed simple enough at first but now I'm just scratching my head. It is difficult for me to explain this so I'm just going to put individual notes below.

----------

BIOS reports my CPU correctly at (23 x 164) ~3.75Ghz

Windows is reporting 3.6Ghz - I'm assuming (22 x 164)

CPUID is reporting the speed as 3766Mhz under "CPU Properties" however then reports under "Multi CPU" the eight individual threads
running at 3595Mhz

----------

My first thought was maybe EIST and/or C1E on my motherboard somehow became enabled. Not the case......

My motherboard still had all the correct settings, however I went back into CPUID and it is showing that C1E is disabled, but that EnhancedSpeedStepTech is enabled?? So It's disabled in Bios yet its still running? Nope... I don't believe it's running because when I bring my CPU to even 100% load it doesn't throttle up from the 22x multi to 23x like it would.

After looking more into CPUID it shows that the min/max multipliers are 12x/22x yet I've been using a 23x multi for two years?

I don't know.

---------------

I checked online and my BIOS was still running the first version. Apparently there was a shizzz load of updates that I never looked into. Flashed to the latest one however that didn't change anything.

-------------

It's worked at 3.75Ghz for two years, that's the point. I didn't change any settings. I wonder what happened, any suggestions?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 9, 2010 7:41:25 AM

What motherboard have you got and what voltage were you running at? Any chance you've damaged your board / chip and now your multipliers are having issues?

Reset CMOS, boot without overclock and check all speeds are the same and at the correct stock clock, then try setting your overclock again?

Maybe try a lower overclock and see if they're all reporting the same speed and then try for 3.75 again?

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 9, 2010 4:33:58 PM

Everything is fine. There seems to be some issues with different programs not working right with the CPU Ratio Settings. On my motherboard, Asus Rampage III extreme, if I set my CPU ratio to 21 (max) instead of 20 it does the same thing. Go with what the BIOS says for speed not what Windows says.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 9, 2010 6:21:11 PM

It's not right for all software to read it incorrectly though :o .
December 10, 2010 4:47:25 AM

Thanks for the responses guys.. I actually have a Rampage II Extreme board, so I'm assuming I'm on the same page as ahnilated.

I doubt there is any damage to the chip, I have a nice liquid setup and temps are well within range 24/7. Board runs cool in a Silverstone TJ09, all fan slots filled with high airflow 120mm fans.

Not sure of the exact voltage as its a very precise number, my machine was professionally overclocked by DigitalStorm (http://www.digitalstormonline.com/). I've run the tests (generic standalone .exe they sent me that auto runs Prime95/Linx/Memtest/other apps) they recommended for as long as they recommended and all is stable.

I'll do some more reading up on this and if I don't find anything, I'll take your advice acer0169 >
"Reset CMOS, boot without overclock and check all speeds are the same and at the correct stock clock, then try setting your overclock again? "

--edit--

Just remembered that my board has the ability to switch out OC profiles. I'll have to check if Digital Storm saved any profiles to make this easier on me.
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 190 K Overclocking
December 10, 2010 4:52:12 AM

Have you used Avg anitvirus at all?
my pc is also exhibiting similar stupidity after uninstalling it (after hearing about their latest update ruining win7 systems)
Just a thought...
Moto
December 13, 2010 4:34:28 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
Have you used Avg anitvirus at all?
my pc is also exhibiting similar stupidity after uninstalling it (after hearing about their latest update ruining win7 systems)
Just a thought...
Moto

I've used it on another system and I'm not a fan. So nope, can't say I have.
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 190 K Overclocking
December 13, 2010 12:03:30 PM

Np, just wondered if that could have been a contributing factor is all :) 
Moto
January 1, 2011 4:39:13 AM

I've finished this problem off..

"Reset CMOS, boot without overclock and check all speeds are the same and at the correct stock clock, then try setting your overclock again? "

Now, what I did was reset CMOS and tried numerous different overclocks. I've concluded that using a lower 21x multi instead of the 23x I was able to achieve a 24/7 stable 3.8Ghz. Windows and other software have had zero problems seeing the new/correct clock speed. Upon reinstalling Win7 on my new christmas drive (Mushkin Enhanced 90GB Callisto SSD) the whole system has just been a dream. On another note, I saved the old and new OC profiles.. Loading up the old settings still shows me all sorts of funky stuff going on.

So my conclusion is that "ahnilated" was right. It's just a problem with specific software not reading the higher "Turbo" multiplier. The fix is simply not using the higher multiplier. :pt1cable: 
January 1, 2011 4:39:37 AM

Best answer selected by Shane285.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 1, 2011 8:19:49 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!