Advice on CPU Cooler AM2/AM2

insomnia9669

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
I am looking into replacing the stock heatsink on my Phenom II 94 BE. I really am interested in overclocking my CPU, and was wondering which of the CPU coolers to get. I will probably only OC it to about 3.6 or 3.7, which would then require a raise in voltage, to my understanding to about 1.45v. So the cooler would have to be able to support an increase in voltage, from what I have read there are some that don’t really work to great when you raise the voltage. And BTW I leave my computer turned on pretty much 24/7.

These are the CPU coolers I had in mind. Some of them are very difficult to find, but I wouldn’t mind waiting a little while and just about searching everywhere. Which of these coolers would be most effective? Also, which of these coolers has the best price/performance ratio (including fan, Brackets for my Mobo (AM2, AM2+), Thermal Paste, etc)? And last but not least I am really not interested in lapping the heatsink or the CPU.

These are the ones I am interested in at the moment. But if there is anything else that does fit my needs, do tell.

Titan Fenrir

Thermolab Baram

Thermalright 120 Extreme

Prolimatech Megahalems

Noctua NH-U12P

Xigmatek Thor’s Hammer

Oh yeah almost forgot my case, is the Antec 900, currently without the 2 optional fans, but I am looking into buying 2 more fans, or at least a side fan for the case.

Newegg has a scythe 1000 with 140mm fan in the open box section for $35.99, but you need to measure your case and board to see if it will fit. One reviewer has it running fanless with low temps.